Thinking of making a Damasteel Push Dagger but have questions

Sean Jones

I hope this is the right place. I considered putting this in the newbie area but I thought I would get more exposure here. If it needs to be moved elsewhere mods please feel free to do so.

I won a very nice piece of 5" Rose Pattern Damasteel in the Damasteel give-away and am thinking of making a push dagger from it.

(And Thanks very much to Boss Dog for that.)

But...

Firstly I don't want to ruin such a nice piece of steel and I'm a bit unsure how to approach such a project. I haven't made any daggers before so I'm planning on doing some trial pieces in 1095 before I take Damasteel to grinder. I don't think it's beyond my skill, but it will certainly push it. Does that seem reasonable? I'm finishing up knife number four now and have had some trouble with it, but it's gone fairly well. Hope to post some pictures of it this week.

Secondly I'm trying to figure out how to attach the push dagger handles. I've attached a first concept drawing that I hope explains this a bit.

My thought is either to grind down about 1/2" from the end to create an extension to run a die over it. Or...use a piece of drill rod and wedge/pound then braze(?) the rod to the Damasteel and then run the die over the drill rod.

In either case I believe I would want to do that after heat - treat.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Push-Dagger.jpg

Sure, the extension or taping will work for you.
You probably are set to go with lots of experience to do the grinds but I always like to help or try to. First don't waste any of the 1095, just use mild steel. One way to help get the outlines from one side to the other very close is to draw lines ACROSS the blade say every 1/2" apart with a center line from the back of the knife to the tip and actually measure if the distance from one side is the same as the other. This will be a super looking one of a kind !!! I hope we get a picture or two later. Frank

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip on drawing the lines across the blade. I didn't think of that. I wish I could say I have lots of experience with the grinds, but I kind of work in spurts. My job has a tendency to get in the way.

I hope it turns out well. I will post pictures however it turns out though. I seem to have mixed success, so keeping my fingers crossed.

Back