Thinking About a Grinder Build.....Questions

pairomedicsfish

Short and sweet....thinking about a 2X72 grinder build. I have a platen with wheels, from a four inch wide grinder...can I run a 2" belt on it and be able to get work done?

If you modify the the 4" wide platen to 2" wide you can use that to grind on.
The wheel being 4" wide won't matter as long as you don't try to hollow grind on it with just a 2" belt.

I would start with 2" wheels & platen myself.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I'd normally address you by name but I'm too lazy to type all that out :)

I'm curious as to your location since you said you picked up in person at Sheffield.

You could mod your 4" platen or probably better to build a 2" wide one for what you've already got. Pics would help with a recommendation.

Take care,

-Josh

While you can technically run a 2" belt on a 4" wide platen and/or contact wheel, I wouldn't recommend it for knives.

For inside curves, choils, plunges, etc... you need to be able to hang the blet off the side of the platen or wheel. Now I suppose you MIGHT be able to do that depending on your tracking wheel and mechanism, but I still think you'd be money ahead to just build your own 2" platen.

Josh....call me Kevin.....I am in Winter Park. Just a short drive for me to Orange city......my 4x36 craftsman died....I sniped the platen off of it....just trying to reduce the fabrication needed to get running on a 2x72.

Hi Kevin !

On a grinder build reducing fabrication will most likely be a false economy IMHO. Taking the time to do it right the first time will payoff in the long run.

I would personally not use any parts from a craftsman 4x36 to build a 2x72. You'll have FAR more fab in trying to use that platen than just making one from 2" wide flat bar.

Don't want to rain on your parade but being honest.

I'm just over in Melbourne and there is another maker in Winter Park.

-Josh

No rain on the parade!...lol... I get yout point completely. I am going in search of square tube tomorow and other misc. parts. With no grinder and three knives to finish, I need to build this thing.....Who else is over here? I know WBE is in Geneva....

Who else is over here? I know WBE is in Geneva....

Josh is being very generous in his use of 'maker' in regards to me, but I am in Winter Park as well. I'd call myself more of a 'Tool Aficionado' then a maker, since I've only forged a few blanks so far and have not completed a knife! My problem is I had quite a few projects before starting this knife making journey, and a few of them wound up being things my knife making would greatly benefit from if I competed them! So I've been working on those prior to actually working on knives like I really want. Things like a buffer (which is a WIP on here, look for the Craftsman grinder) a drill press (1968 Rockwell ALSO a WIP on here), and now a band saw!

I'm not that much further ahead of you in this path. I know that when I got interested, this was something I was hooked on. I read everything I could and when everyone says to save up and get a 2x72, I just did it. Many people have made and still make solid knives on 4x48 and 1x30, but most want to one day upgrade. So really, if you've done enough to know you are hooked, its worth it to buy it now. I skipped the alternatives because most don't have enough motor. About the only way they MIGHT have enough oomph is if you got an old school belt/disc sander that is pulley driven with a big enough motor (and I'm SEARCHING DAILY for an antique like this!). Though issues would arise since the things you'd need (different size contact wheels, tool rest, slack belt, etc) wouldn't be easily adapted.

Mine technically isn't complete. It runs and I've used it on a variety of projects but I haven't built my flat platen nor finished my tool rest (need to find a bigger slab for the top and find someone to weld it on!). I built my grinder, its a No Weld Grinder and you can find my WIP here on the boards. I've also seen many folks post about building a Grinder in the Box and those turn out nice as well, but I just know I like my NWG...I built it! Biggest expense with either will be the wheels, just be aware. You can minimize cost by watching Ebay for motors which is what I did and even went with a VFD from the start for the control over the speed. I wired that up and even am adapting that now for a 'remote' option since I have a mobile tool base with a motor in it for my 3 belt driven tools (a band saw, scroll saw and jointer).

PM me and we can figure out a time for you to stop over for a tour of my shop if you want. Just a warning, I've got TOO many projects at the moment so its a bit messy! But who knows, maybe things in my shop can help you figure out how you want yours, or what you DON'T want in yours! :lol:

Good luck!
Eric

Back