The "Thread" thread....

Aloha all...
Wanna start making my own sheaths and leather goods in general... guess I got stung by the "leather bug":lol:

I sure would appreciate any thoughts on the best threads to use for stitching.... general... inlay.... etc...

I've got a Tippman Boss that I bought years ago and never used yet... wanna give that a try... but definitely want to make a stitching pony and do some hand stitching.... not a business thing for me... just love the hobby :biggrin:

Have the Paul Long videos and the Cohea rawhide sheaths video as well... Super stuff.... Thanks for doing those and sharing your skills.... you guys were a big part of that "bug" that bit me... :0)

I've done some reading here and before I go out and by some waxed nylon... or pick up a spool of Barbour's linen 5ply and bee's wax.... I wanted to see what people thought.... like is 6 or 7 ply better?... is waxed nylon stronger?... which will last longer subjected to the elements on a daily user type sheath or other tool or container holder...

Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts... I do appreciate them...

Oh by the way... Happy Holidays!

Last edited:
I can't help you much with your hand stitching. It's been years since I did any to speak of. Your Tippman Boss machine can digest a number of different threads. I'd recommend either/or Bonded Nylon or Bonded Poly. The thread weights will depend on what you are making, but for sheaths etc. 207 or 277 will be plenty heavy enough and should work well in the Tippman. Please remember the little machine will throw a temper tantrum IF you do not make a complete full stroke with each stitch. Handle ALL the way up and then ALL the way down. No short strokes. Good luck and i hope you find new joy with your hobby every day.

Paul

All I do is hand sew and use Barbour's linen 5ply for everything, stitching, beading(split to what size I need) and it has always seemed heavy enough..One thing, dye before waxing if you want dyed thread. Watch out, leather is addictive and a good excuse to "knife" at night......Randy

Thanks for input and the tips...
Especially on the Tippman Boss... sometimes I can use all the help I can get :0)
And for the tip on the 5ply... was wondering if more is better when I saw it came in 6 and 7 ply as well...
I also read something about beeswax and adding something else... gonna have to go look that up....
Thanks again... and for the encouragement...
By the way Paul... found that speed beveler you use in your video for the edge of the basketweave... gonna need to order that... sure made it look easy...
Practicing on scrap veg tan pieces for now :0)
Happy Holidays!
Craig

I also read something about beeswax and adding something else... gonna have to go look that up....

I believe Mr. Burrows adds rosin in with wax for "stickyness", I haven't tried it

By the way Paul... found that speed beveler you use in your video for the edge of the basketweave... gonna need to order that... sure made it look easy...
Practicing on scrap veg tan pieces for now :0)
Happy Holidays!
Craig

I would very much appreciate a link to where you found that speed beveler. thanks in advance!

Paul

I would very much appreciate a link to where you found that speed beveler. thanks in advance!

Paul

Aloha Paul,
Here you go... http://springfieldleather.com/store/product/4271/Blade,Plastic,Beveler/
Found it after reading another forum on leather and someone else asked...
Leather folks sure are friendly :0)
By the way... Thanks for all the information and tips in the video... good stuff for a newbie like me...
Gonna need to watch it over and over again... lots of info ... also need to watch and write down the names and brands of the conditioners, etc... you were using doing the video... got the saddle soap and the neetsfoot oil... but couldn't remember the rest... good to watch anyway... pick up something each time I watch...
Happy Holidays!
Craig

Thank you, Craig. My little speed beveler is about 18-20 years old and they kind of disappeared from the market for a while. I'm glad they surfaced again because they are sure handy and fast.

Back