The Neo-Tribal Metalsmith Art Movement

Here's a cool little authentic neo-tribal piece my dad picked up in Mexico back in the 70s. It's by an anonymous unsung unknown true N-T Bladesmith. The blade is from a file and the handle is little stacked pieces of plastic with aluminum. The guard is from some type of steel.

... just for inspiration.

DSCN7939.JPG

This is what I'm taliking about when I say "neo-tribal" has been around a long time, and has a will and "life" of it's own. It is not of our making, only of our recognition.

Not being a smart ass just not sure how this differs from a Scagel ?

Not being a smart ass just not sure how this differs from a Scagel ?

Exactly my point. The neo-tribal art movement has been around a long time and is not of our creation... outside of our own personal innovations, we are just followers and practitioners.

I’m not an expert on Scagel, and don’t know much more about the knife in the pic, other than what I’ve said and what I can see. However, we could do a half hypothetical art historical “compare and contrast” (from all angles) and see what the differences and similarities are.

Was Scagel a neo-tribal?... great question!

... Now we might be getting somewhere.

Last edited:
I’m not an expert on Scagel, and don’t know much more about the knife in the pic, other than what I’ve said and what I can see. However, we could do a half hypothetical art historical “compare and contrast” (from all angles) and see what the differences and similarities are.

Was Scagel a neo-tribal?... great question!

... Now we might be getting somewhere.

I had to look that up:
http://arc.academyart.edu/writing/essay.html

It's over my head.

I had to look that up:
http://arc.academyart.edu/writing/essay.html

It's over my head.

It was just a suggestion. :)

Just entertaining the question was probably good enough for this format. The bigger question is when and where did the true neo-tribal art movement start?,... or was it arrived at simultaneously in different parts of the world? My person opinion is that it was evolutionary, inevitable and emerged simultaneously in many parts of the world. There was never a time when we the N-T here in the USA, were the only ones keeping it alive.

It represents a global phenomenon and a new era. It is "contemporary/traditional" smithing in the broadest sense.

It has been recognized and now has a name.

Last edited:
I have debated, started and deleted a few replies, some lengthy, but curiosity is getting the better of me. I guess I am just not understanding this movement or more specifically its name. When I think Scagel or WW II Theater, or rasp bowie, Tribal or Neo-Tribal is not what I associate those with. The connection is just not there for me. Can you connect the dots?

Where exactly the line between N-T and non-N-T is, is a fuzzy topic. That's where it becomes open to interpretation. I can say for sure though, that the Contemporary American Frontier style has been absorbed and welcomed by neo-tribal. However, N-T is not limited to it.

Last edited:
I have debated, started and deleted a few replies, some lengthy, but curiosity is getting the better of me. I guess I am just not understanding this movement or more specifically its name. When I think Scagel or WW II Theater, or rasp bowie, Tribal or Neo-Tribal is not what I associate those with. The connection is just not there for me. Can you connect the dots?

American Contemporay Frontier is a name / description I can relate to and see the connection with. I however don't see many of those producing it as identifying themselves or their work as N-T , even if N-T would like to claim them.

Take this piece, produce by an older gent I know, a hunting aquaintance in Southern Arkansas. A forged bowie from a rasp. If I were to tell him he was a Neo-Tribal artist, I think I would likely get some crossways looks.

001-a.jpg

If this is a prime example of Neo-tribal, what if we found out it was built on a propane fired forge? Does that lessen it's 'neo-tribalness'? Or the fact it wasn't made from hand smelted ore? I don't think so, as an art form and a useful tool it seems to be a perfect example should it matter if it was made from modern materials?

Here's a cool little authentic neo-tribal piece my dad picked up in Mexico back in the 70s. It's by an anonymous unsung unknown true N-T Bladesmith. The blade is from a file and the handle is little stacked pieces of plastic with aluminum. The guard is from some type of steel.

... just for inspiration.

DSCN7939.JPG

This is what I'm taliking about when I say "neo-tribal" has been around a long time, and has a will and "life" of it's own. It is not of our making, only of our recognition.

It was just a suggestion. :)

Just entertaining the question was probably good enough for this format. The bigger question is when and where did the true neo-tribal art movement start?,... or was it arrived at simultaneously in different parts of the world? My person opinion is that it was evolutionary, inevitable and emerged simultaneously in many parts of the world. There was never a time when we the N-T here in the USA, were the only ones keeping it alive.

It represents a global phenomenon and a new era. It is "contemporary/traditional" smithing in the broadest sense.

It has been recognized and now has a name.

Maybe with the use of the Web?

Modern materials, propane, epoxy etc., are part of the "Neo" in Neo-Tribal.

Great questions and comments. I think we are on the right track, but I'm not in a position to answer them all for everyone.

Neo-Tribal is still evolving and defining itself as an art form.

American Contemporay Frontier is a name / description I can relate to and see the connection with. I however don't see many of those producing it as identifying themselves or their work as N-T , even if N-T would like to claim them.

Take this piece, produce by an older gent I know, a hunting aquaintance in Southern Arkansas. A forged bowie from a rasp. If I were to tell him he was a Neo-Tribal artist, I think I would likely get some crossways looks.

View attachment 45982

This is part of the point I’m trying to make.

Philosophically, an artist would not have to call it “neo-tribal” or even be aware of it, in order for it to be neo-tribal. It’s bigger than the name that has become attached to it.

I think the work exists without the name, it existed prior and will exist after. But its the name that is the disconnect for me. Thanks for your responses. I'll bow out of this discussion now before we enter into philosophical debates as I fear this written dialogue may not perceived as I intend it, I find there is no "tone" to the written text. I enjoy the forged blade and like many of the pieces I have seen describe as N-T, even if I don't see how the N-T connotation fits. Carry on : ) .

Most likely there are other names for it in other countries and in other languages, but it would take an army of art historians to work it out. However, for many of them, it would represent a departure from strict cultural tradition, influenced by modern western culture and technology. Here in the USA, we came to it from the opposite end of the spectrum, met in the middle and closed the gap, philosophically.

Was “Neo-Tribal” the best possible name for it? Maybe, maybe not, but it’s the one that was popularized.

Also keep in mind that the Tucson Tribe was a small local organization, and as such with it’s own peculiarities, clicks, and idiosyncrasies.

I don’t see how we could claim to be it’s sole representatives on a global scale… though some groups in other counties have adopted our name for it.

Last edited:
Back