The Most Dangerous Thing in MY Shop...

Yep, I agree a bandsaw running around 3,000 to 4,000 SFPM with 6 TPI is a scary thing, it some ways even more scary than a tablesaw.

My buffer doesn't worry me much - it's only 1/4hp at 1800 rpm with soft buffs - it won't grab anything, the buff just collapses. I'm still careful with it. Now, one of those 1hp 3600 RPM buffers with a nice heavy buffing wheel, those are scary and dangerous. That's what is needed for "cutting" metal when polishing sidegrinder ground metal. But for the scales I polish, and even if polishing a blade that's already sanded to 1,000+ grit it doesn't take much power at all.
So, I like to regrind some of my ripping blades. I had a 6TPI raker blade that I ground a large hook tooth into every few teeth. Think of it like a "combination blade" that you'd use on a table saw. It cut down on feed pressure. If I cut slowly it'd give me a "6TPI finish". If I sorta forced it in, it'd seriously eat some wood.

I was using a piece of scrap wood as a push stick and it broke. Wanna see a picture of what it does to a thumb?

Fortunately, I used some ninja like reflexes. I had a "V" cut into my thumb. Really strange. Not a notch cut out, but two lines that started at the tip of my thumb and went inward, spreading up. Basically, I was able to pull my thumb out quick enough that only 2 of the deep teeth cut me. The third tooth would've taken out the middle of the "V". THAT would've taken a wire to heal up.

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

Oh, and for all yall on blood thinners and whatnot... if you get some paper towels, maybe 2 or 3 squares, fold them up into a 2 inch square or a little bigger and put them in your wallet, they end up loosing their "fluff" and don't noticeably bulk up your wallet. I keep that and 4 or 5 bandaids in my wallet. Fortunately, and knock on wood, I'm not on blood thinners. When I go fishing or hunting, it's good to be able to keep dirt out of cuts and scrapes, hence bandaids. The paper towels have all kinds of uses. Anything from toilet paper, fire starter, something to write on, etc. Heck, you could probably even use them as towels!

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

Back