The grizzly!!!

Guindesigns

hey i got to using a Grizzly grinder/knife buffer and i just didnt like it and i had bought one before using one. i know bad move. so i was wondering is there a way to make my Grizzly a vaulable speed like the Kmg grider i've been using. it uses a pulley stsyem to make it vaulable speed so i have heard there are a few people out there that have done this or something like this so if yall are on here plz post ur info or pm me and if anyone know them or any way to do this themselves plz do the same. thank u for ur time.

-Young Pup

Young Pup,

I wish I could help you with this. A friend of mine had the same problem. As I understand the Grizzly, it has a single phase motor that is integral to the unit. By that I mean, it can't be replaced by a 3 phase motor that you could wire a VFD to. Hopefully, someone has successfully modified the Grizzly to use pulleys, but I don't know that has happened. My friend ended up using the Grizzly as a dedicated buffer (at which it is very good) and bought the variable speed KMG. As you probably know, there are many options for grinders. Probably the least expensive decent machine is a Coote, with pulleys.

Jay

I have seen guys simply use the motor as a bearing and hook up a variable speed motor to the buffer side of the motor. They simply leave the motor off and use the variable speed. Check out Chris Crawfords page. He has some shop pics I think that's how this setup.

I have seen guys simply use the motor as a bearing and hook up a variable speed motor to the buffer side of the motor. They simply leave the motor off and use the variable speed. Check out Chris Crawfords page. He has some shop pics I think that's how this setup.

I have seen this kind of conversion and it worked well. My vote goes to the Coote machine for a entry level grinder. www.cootegrinder.com That was my first and I still have it 16 years later.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I have been looking around for a decent grinder myself. I found that I can get the coote with ceramic platen and work platform for the 10 inch wheel, 1hp variable speed motor and controls, pullys, v belt and shipping for both the motor and grinder for $950.

I have been looking around for a decent grinder myself. I found that I can get the coote with ceramic platen and work platform for the 10 inch wheel, 1hp variable speed motor and controls, pullys, v belt and shipping for both the motor and grinder for $950.

That's a good price but you might want to consider a 1 1/2 HP motor and a VFD that can work with a 1 1/2 to 2 HP motor. I think I built the GIB with Beaumont parts (10" contact, idler and drive wheel and platen set up), an Ebay "new" Baldor 1 1/2 HP 3 phase motor and a KBAC27D control for around $1,200.00. But, I wasn't in a hurry and spaced the purchases over time. The contact wheel and VFD were over half the cost.

That's a good price but you might want to consider a 1 1/2 HP motor and a VFD that can work with a 1 1/2 to 2 HP motor. I think I built the GIB with Beaumont parts (10" contact, idler and drive wheel and platen set up), an Ebay "new" Baldor 1 1/2 HP 3 phase motor and a KBAC27D control for around $1,200.00. But, I wasn't in a hurry and spaced the purchases over time. The contact wheel and VFD were over half the cost.

I would agree that if you really want to do this on more than a weekend thing, Get the 1 1/2 hp. and variable if you can afford it. If you go with pulleys? Look for a used motors on craig's list or any other place you can see if they work? Also look around local electrical supply or repair places for used motors.
The don't have to be TEFC If it's cheap enough, Use it till you let the smoke out of it! I have several open motors that I purchased used that are still working after years of dust. If you buy new get a TEFC.

You can use a piece of ceramic tile for the platen, That can be free or very cheap! Flat is flat.

If you get the Coote there are a few little tricks I learned over the years to use all of the grinder you can get out of it! Contact me.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Thank you for the advice. i looked into it and it appears it will only cost me an additional $46 to bump it up to 1.5hp . So i am thinking that is what I am going to do, especially after the great idea for the ceramic platen which saved me $28. On a similar topic has anyone seen the grinder on ebay $950 +100 for shipping. I am not a very trusting soul so I am going to stick with the tried and true coote, but take a look maybe someone might want to take the risk it's a good price and all.

Thank you for the advice. i looked into it and it appears it will only cost me an additional $46 to bump it up to 1.5hp . So i am thinking that is what I am going to do, especially after the great idea for the ceramic platen which saved me $28. On a similar topic has anyone seen the grinder on ebay $950 +100 for shipping. I am not a very trusting soul so I am going to stick with the tried and true coote, but take a look maybe someone might want to take the risk it's a good price and all.

I'm not sure what deal grinder there is on ebay? my 2 cents is go with one of Norman's, Coote Grinders in 2 x72" He is a great man to deal with and will walk you through any questions. Tell him I said hello!
He will remember me, I send my Coote grinder to him about every 1000 knives or 6 years, which ever comes first? He goes over all the bearing's and checks the rubber of the wheel etc for a very reasonable price. I don't put nearly as many knives on it these days since I have two other 2 x 72" machines but I will keep it for a back up, light jobs and if I need a mobile set up for sharpening or knife making I can set it up in the bed of my truck!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I'm not sure what deal grinder there is on ebay? my 2 cents is go with one of Norman's, Coote Grinders in 2 x72" He is a great man to deal with and will walk you through any questions. Tell him I said hello!
He will remember me, I send my Coote grinder to him about every 1000 knives or 6 years, which ever comes first? He goes over all the bearing's and checks the rubber of the wheel etc for a very reasonable price. I don't put nearly as many knives on it these days since I have two other 2 x 72" machines but I will keep it for a back up, light jobs and if I need a mobile set up for sharpening or knife making I can set it up in the bed of my truck!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Gotta go with Laurence on this also...Coote is a respected name and he is a good man to boot. I use my Coote on every knife even though I also have my GIB set up with a VFD on it. The are basic grinders and there are things you can do to make using them even better but they are solid machines and won't disappoint.

Gotta go with Laurence on this also...Coote is a respected name and he is a good man to boot. I use my Coote on every knife even though I also have my GIB set up with a VFD on it. The are basic grinders and there are things you can do to make using them even better but they are solid machines and won't disappoint.

First trick I did was remove the dust cover off of the 5" idler wheel and start using it to profile my inside arc of my handles. The aluminum works with the heavy belts, but you get chatter with the finer belts.

If you were to get a rubber covered 5" wheel you should be able to hollow grind a saber type grind for tactical and some EDC type knives.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I worked in a rock crusher for about 7years and we use to speed up our belts just buy changing the sheeves I would not see why it would not work with your grinder that you have. I intend on doing it to the one i have here will have to do some modifications to it but hey poor man has poor ways.

Laurence i was wondering i saw you posting on another about the tw-90 over a KMG now other than the price what is the up and down to going with the TW-90 than a KMG??

The TW-90 is a well made machine that is cut out of thick plate steel and welded together at exact tolerences. Smooth and quiet, Bearing's and all other parts are made here in the USA.
There are many added features, like it's ability to work at 90 or 45 degrees. Plus you can now buy a surface grinder attachment.

The KMG is bolted together, By it's nature is more noisy and has more vibration. The one that arrived at my shop had bearings made in China, one of which overheated, So I replaced all of them.

After having to replace the bearings and other hassles & cost I was close enough in cost to getting another Hardcore products 1 1/2 Variable. Plug it in and go!

Now I would save up the rest and get the TW-90
My motto when it comes to buying tools and most everything else is,

Only cry once! Buy the best you can possibly afford!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

The TW-90 is a well made machine that is cut out of thick plate steel and welded together at exact tolerences. Smooth and quiet, Bearing's and all other parts are made here in the USA.
There are many added features, like it's ability to work at 90 or 45 degrees. Plus you can now buy a surface grinder attachment.

The KMG is bolted together, By it's nature is more noisy and has more vibration. The one that arrived at my shop had bearings made in China, one of which overheated, So I replaced all of them.

After having to replace the bearings and other hassles & cost I was close enough in cost to getting another Hardcore products 1 1/2 Variable. Plug it in and go!

Now I would save up the rest and get the TW-90
My motto when it comes to buying tools and most everything else is,

Only cry once! Buy the best you can possibly afford!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

alright thanks laurence i see where your coming from. thank you for the advice.
-Young Pup

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I think the grinder he is referring to on Ebay is almost certainly the Pheer grinder. He puts one up for sale every once in a while, it seems.

Rmbonham -- the Pheer grinder is legit (though conventional wisdom says not to get the 1hp version). There are reviews floating around the various forums. Here is his website. http://www.2x72beltgrinder.com/grinders.html

Last edited:
Back