The bread and butter of knifemakers?

Mark Barone

I am far from selling but was curious if there are basic designs ( hunter, bushcraft, droppoint etc. ) and commonly used materials that sell better?

All of the above. There’s a market for anything and everything.

The key, in my opinion, is making the knives that you yourself are passionate about.

It is not hard to sell knives. Don’t waste one moment worrying about that. Instead, focus on making the knives as best as you can. They will sell.

Most guys migrate to knives that they want. Martial arts guys will go that way. Hunters/outdoorsmen, will tend to make more outdoors oriented knives.. A general knowledge of what the knife is for and how it’s used goes a long way when your making them,

That's good to hear. I am drawn to certain knifes. I really just love it as a hobby but at the same time it would be nice for some of the knifes to find a home or a purpose.

There's not much demand for custom bread knives and butter knives. I'd stick to the models that sell better like hunters and skinners.:):)

I know, you didn't need advice from a smart azz. I just couldn't help myself.

Your getting pretty good advice here though.

There's not much demand for custom bread knives and butter knives.

HAHAHA That’s true! I do get A LOT of requests for “a set of steak knives” but for some reason interest fades when I quote a price. All of a sudden that chef knife looks like a great deal!

There's not much demand for custom bread knives and butter knives. I'd stick to the models that sell better like hunters and skinners.:):)

I know, you didn't need advice from a smart azz. I just couldn't help myself.

Your getting pretty good advice here though.

There's always one

That's good to hear. I am drawn to certain knifes. I really just love it as a hobby but at the same time it would be nice for some of the knifes to find a home or a purpose.
Until you get a really strong grasp of what makes a good knife, and what makes a not so good one, and how you personally can make the aforementioned, stick to tried and true designs. I tried all kinds of crazy crap when I first started and it was all for naught. I litterally have a drawer full of finished knibed that I won’t even give away because they are nearly unusable. You can wander from genre to genre, but try and stay true to proven designs. Just doing that will help with the learning curve.

Back