Textured Stag

C

CHouse

Bruce, I read an old post somewhere about texturing or enhancing stag for a MS knife. It appeared to be a success and I am wondering if you have textured more stag and if so what is a good way to do it? Some Stag would look much better with a little help. And keep up the work on the slipjoints!!!!

Hi CHouse,
I think you were talking about one of my MS judged knives that I jigged the stag on. It worked pretty good but since then I've been putting a natural pattern on otherwise ordinary stag and having it amberdyed to blacken the low spots and give some color to the high spots.

Here is a set of pistol grips and knife scales that are now out getting dyed. I put most of the pattern in these with a dremel with various burrs and bead blasted tool marks out.
100_5294_edited.jpg

That is just what I had in mind. I have a few pieces that are ok except they have a bald spot or two with no texture. I will give this a try. And send a few in for dying. Thanks for the info.

These shots are on one of my other threads but I thought they would go good here since we are on the subject.

This is what they look like after the "amber dye" job from Culpeppers. It took about a month to get them back which can throw off your schedule possibly. Let them dry in the sun because they are wet when they come back too. I want to try a food dehydrater sometme. I also want to try to jig some stag and see how that looks on a slipjoint. I wonder what the secret indredient is for the amber color. I do know it needs to soak for several days and is more than likely not pressurized.

101_5924_edited.jpg

101_5935_edited.jpg

101_5938_edited.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder what the secret ingredient is for the amber colour. I do know it needs to soak for several days and is more than likely not pressurized.

My best guess is that it is an alcohol based solution of Iodine Crystals.
"Tincture of Iodine"
(although perhaps much stronger than the one you may buy in the pharmacy)

I'd like to know what it is myself. Bruce, that texture you have put on those looks good. As good as the real thing - maybe better.

I'd like to know what it is myself. Bruce, that texture you have put on those looks good. As good as the real thing - maybe better.

Thanks Boss! With all the influence you have maybe you can find out what really makes stag this color.

I know who to ask on this. If I'm not sworn to secrecy, I'll pass it on.

I know who to ask on this. If I'm not sworn to secrecy, I'll pass it on.

Employees are sworn to secrecy most of the time. I've ran into trade secrets before and nobodys talking. Its understandable but in the knife industry we tell all for some reason. Maybe I wouldnt if I stumbled on a recipe that I could make a living with.

Bruce what does the potassium permanganate look like compared to these scales in the pic? Just curious if yours are more black in color....?

Larry

I got a call from Bruce Evans and he still swears by the strong solution of iodine. I still havent had a chance to play with it. Hey since you are hot on this subject how about trying it and letting us know. :)

Bruce, I'd bought some of the regular iodine awhile back and tried it and there was no change in color. The stronger the better. Never tried the professionally dyed antler. I prefer coloring it myself.

I got a call from Bruce Evans and he still swears by the strong solution of iodine. I still havent had a chance to play with it. Hey since you are hot on this subject how about trying it and letting us know. :)

I'd be more than happy to. Feel free to send a box full of stag to experiment on.

:rolleyes:

Back