Terotuf problem

J. ROSA

I've been using terotuf for most of the tac blades I've been making. Usually it sands fine and finishes like it should; rough but consistently black at 320 grit. I recently orderd direct from the company that makes it and it's not finishing at all like the first sheet I ordered from them. At about 320 grit it looks more like black canvas micarta at 120 grit but speckled with specks that look like lighter. It even feels more course. I can't for the life of me sand it uniformly to get rid of the specks and get an even finish. I've tried hand finish and belt and nothing. Is this because there was less dye in the mix or something? I'm calling the company in the morning but I was wondering if anyone had this problem or a fix. I have 3 blades that need to hit the mail and are already a few days late....

Two on the left finished at 120 grit and the one on the right 320. The new batch does not get quite as dark or consistent. Looks like black stonewashed jeans when finished at 320 grit due to the lighter specks peppering it...
20160111_225813.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This time the original is on the left and the 2 with the new batch on the right. I wet the 2 new with water. May have to add some mineral oil... it did get me another customer so maybe it isn't all bad but most people that want a tac blade want flat black.

20160112_074507.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back