Temper finish? Good or No Bueno

Jbh blades

Hey Everyone, I just finished two small skeletonized skinners. I made them out of files (I know Mystery steel). That's not my dilemma. I heat treated and then tempered at 500. I was intending on two cycles at 500 from the get go but after the first temper I really liked the blue temper oxidation. So then I got the bright idea to finish sand before the second cycle... so that's what I did. Their done, sharpened and cutting great. I love the blue coloring, it looks cool. I know it will wear off with use, but are there any other reasons not to leave the oxidation on the blade or am I missing something obvious? Not the greatest pic either, taken with phone at night.
11-5-2014 036.jpg

500° is a tad high, but should be OK. The temper color will do no harm, but most would consider the blade unfinished.

Looks nice.

When I want something like that I remove all the color then using gun bluing I work on the color. Takes a bit more time to do but, it lasts longer.

Thanks, for your replies. I've treated all my blades in a charcoal grill with an air supply until 2 weeks ago. I now have an evenheat kiln that I've used on two O1 blades and the two files. I'm going to send them all to my cousin for hardness testing to know where I'm at, and adjust my process from there. I usually temper the O1 at 300-350 and I have read that file steel comes out of quench pretty damn hard (upper 60's) so that's why I tempered at 500.
Thank you guys for your knowledge and time! I dig the Dog Pound!

In my experience the tempering colors quickly rub off if the knife is used. I've seen charts that show 1095 to be 58-60rc with a 500 degree temper, and files likely are 1095/w1 with a higher carbon content than usual (this based on my own experience with making and testing knives made from files, the experience of others, and seeing test results from a 90's vintage nicholson that showed 1.15% carbon content if memory serves). I think a 500 degree temper is well within reason if the blade reaches full hardness in the quench.

Back