Tapmatic questions.

Wayne, you've just got to be a much younger man than me. I'm sure I wouldn't get it to stop going down soon enough let alone remember I needed to place it in reverse. Ain't that just super how some do the things others said should never be tried !!! Frank

Last edited:
Well Frank, I'm 71. I do run the tap slow so I have plenty of time. Now about the smallest tap I use is a 8-32 for drawer pulls that I forge.

OK, guys. After some research and a phone call to Tapmatic. The 30X the 30TC/DC and the RX30 are basically the same tool. Yes there are differences in them. But overall. for tapping through holes. They are the same monster. The TC/DC has a depth control that the 30X does not. The RX30 has a higher grade clutch or bearings that make it stronger. or last longer?

Of the 3, ANY would serve the purpose of tapping small through holes in SS or Titanium liners. :)

Thanks guys!

I bought the TC/DC originally for doing blind holes.

It doesn't work for that.

Well, the depth control part doesn't.

None of our holes in knife parts are deep enough for that feature, so you have to control it with the clutch.

I don't know what the minimum thread depth is for depth control, but I would wager it's over 1/4", and wouldn't be surprised if it is 3/8 or more.

Currently I wont need to tap any blind holes. So Im pretty sure every one of the 30's will work for what we do as knife makers.

Again Thanks for the clarification Brian.

Blessings
Randy

Sure, bolsters with hidden screws, or scales with hidden screws, or screws that only show from one side of the knife.
http://fellhoelter.com/galleries/blade-show-2012/

flg-mokuti-mix-1.jpg

Frank,
You may break a few taps getting it dialed in but after that you'll love it.

No need to break taps.
If you run the slowest rpm possible, it goes slower and seems more controlled

The clutch is adjustable.

Start low and go higher until it just turns all the way through your material.

Staring high and going low - sure you may break some taps.

I vary from the count a bit here when I help people set them up.

Not sure why, but speed seems to be our friend with these things.
500 -700 RPM works great on everything from #0 - #6 in everything from Al to Ti.
Mine is at 550 RPM or so, and I never change it.
#2 and below can actually be run quite a bit higher, but we just aren't in that big of a hurry...

Drill a bunch of test holes in your material of choice.
Set you clutch too low, and start tapping!
You should not make it all the way through hole #1, that's OK, adjust the tension up, and try on hole #2
Keep doing this, until you tap all the way through, then go a bit more...
Now you are set.
When it stops going all the way through your material, in one try, you are at a crossroads.
Throw away the tap.
Or don't, but know that you are on borrowed time...

Use form taps on everything #6 and below.

Back