Tapered Handle Screws ??

Lerch

Hi all, been gone for a while but still making plenty of knives, just been busy with the full time job

anyway my question is this, I am looking for a handle screw that has a tapered head so i can drill a recess into the handle material so it will pull the handle together from both sides. I am wanting this so that it will add some strength when i am using a colored liner or multi colored G10 handle. currently i am using loctite G20 glue to attach my G10 sheets together, it cures up in 24hrs and seems very strong but i would like to have the tapered screw head put downward pressure on the thinner exterior piece of G10 so i can be sure it wont ever break loose. currently i have been using 3/32" stainless or brass pins that i reem out the drill hole and then peen the pins in. this has worked well so far and i havent ever had one come loose whether the thinner G10 piece is on the exterior or interior of the handle but still i would like something stronger. I also like the look of the tapered screw head in the recessed hole on the handle, similar to what I have seen Coye knives use and some other guys. Ideally i would like a torx head or allen head screw, philliips doenst really match the look i am going for.

what do all of you all use when you are combining G10 or Micarta sheets for multi colored handles ??

thank ya

steve

I forgot to mention that in the past i have used a small tapered head torx screw and a small "standoff" threaded section that i tapped into blade tang and then screwed the torx into, i dont remember who i ordered them from though and i cant seem to find them now. they were fairly expensive if i remember correctly. if i had my preference i would love to find basically a corby bolt that was tapered instead of "dumbbell " shaped. i have used a lot of corby's but i would really like to be able to still use the head of the bolt to add to the "tactical look"

thanks

I believe your talking about a flat head torx screws, they have a 82 degree taper under the flat head. I use pre threaded pivot barrels that come in 3/16" or 1/8" diameters. USA knifemakers has a good selection of many different sizes. Really not that expensive.

Back