Tandy Leather Homework

opaul

So I went to my first class at Tandy leather this past week. The assignment was to work on carving and stamping. Today the class is about dying the leather. I think sewing and lacing comes after that. Anyway here are the two pieces I just finished this morning to take for todays class. Getting use to the carving tool and using the stamps as they are meant to be used is a lot of fun. If any of you guys have the time and interest, I'd recommend it.
I did the one on the right first and the left one is my second effort. Input from you leather guys (Dennis M. :)) would be appreciated.

Looks like you are picking that up quick Paul! I took the class too but mine didn't that good. I need to get my stuff out and practice some more. Keep after it and update us on your progress. It might inspire me to get off my butt and get something done. :)

OP-just like knives, leather needs practice. A class is a great start. My nearest Tandy is almost 2 hours away. I live in the middle of no where. I troll you tube for leather carving and braiding videos. Lots of good ones out there. You just have to get through some bad ones to find them. There is a great deal to learn in leather. I think I have barely scratched the surface.
The flower on the left is called “Sheridan” style, I think. I can see your potential in the carving aspect. It looks pretty good for your start. Just remember your first knife and how you have progressed from there. Same with leather. You will be amazed how dyeing and coloring and resisting and finishing will change your pieces appearance. Lacing is a whole subject in itself. My tip - enjoy the ride! Another rabbit hole to explore.

New mill...new skills...someone's about to do a quantum leap....!
Thanks Smallshop! I hope that's the case, I really need to keep moving the bar.

Here is the results of todays class. I'm really not a fan of painted leather but in some cases it looks ok. I really like the antiquing technique though and is probably where most of the work on my future sheaths will have.

Those are really cool. They don't have any Tandy's on Long Island otherwise I would deff take a class like that
Thank you!
The best part is they are free. Of course there is the obligatory ‘you need to purchase’ items but definitely worth the time so far.
I’ve akso signed up for membership in the local leather workers guild.

Those finished well. They look way different after the color and finish. There are dozens of different techniques to finish leather. All kinds of things to try differently. After a while you develop a few favorites. Same with stamps. Hundreds of them. Eventually you find your favorites. Nice job!!

Op,,, your getting to good at this stuff. I was at Tandy a few weeks ago. I should have asked about the classes. No time for them but I would have put it on my list. It looks like it would be fun!!!!

Op,,, your getting to good at this stuff. I was at Tandy a few weeks ago. I should have asked about the classes. No time for them but I would have put it on my list. It looks like it would be fun!!!!
Thanks Springer82 - I thought the same thing but decided the four classes (total ~12 hrs) would be a good investment in my time to help advance skills in leather working. I would definitely recommend it.

Back