Taking Orders

SPAknives

Hey Bruce Buddy, How ya doin?? I am kinda curious on how you work your order list? Or do you even take orders? I hear some guys say that they don't take orders they just make what they want to and sell it. On the other hand I guess it is good to have a list because that means some of your stuff is in demand somewhat. Right now I have a list pretty well booked up until mid-March. I know it isn't as long as a lot of people, but it is the most I have ever had. So now I have a decent list of orders I have no time to work on stuff that I want to make or have been dreaming up. I guess I need to schedule a littl better and leave myself time to work on what I want to. Any help you have on the subject would be great. Thanks buddy 2thumbs

Hi Shane, Its up to each maker how they want to organize a list of orders. The simplest way is to only take orders on knives you are interested in making and write them in the book, filling them as they come up and crossing them off the list when finished. Thats how I do it. I split up the day and make the less time consuming knives a couple hours per day and use the rest of the day for the long term projects like the pistol/knives. That way there is some income while I'm working on the long jobs and also customers feel they are getting some attention. I dont take deposits except on the long term projects and show them some progress. This WIP is a good example of that. The owner of the Newell .45 cal. is on here sometimes and is abreast of the project. I think its enjoyable and helps keep me on a semi-schedule knowing he is watching plus he knows what goes into his gun and bowie.

That sounds like a good way to me Bruce. I have always had 3 or 4 or 5 orders on my list, which wasn't to bad to manage but now I am getting up around 15 or more on my list and it is just a little overwhelming at first. I guess I need to figure out what works best for me and ROLL with it. I would like to have time to work on a few projects that I want to make. The way you do it sounds like it would work very well. Thanks for the advice. I wish I was going to be the owner of the Newell .45!! It is sweet! Thanks

The way to keep it all interesting is to make knives that you like to make. It becomes a chore if you allow the customer to tell you what to make. Hopefully somebody with money will also share your taste in knives and buy them. Its simple really. :)

Back