tactical bowie/kydex combo...

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
Here's my first design of a kydex sheath for the short Bowie I make. Well actually...I've made three so far....and this one works and does not look like a crack-head made it like the other two..... The forward tilt helps you draw it without your elbow up near your ear when the blade clears the sheath...
kydex 2.jpg

Ted, I've said it before - I'm not a fan of kydex, but, I really like your whole package . Well done amigo, well done.
Now, what is the blade finish? The double fuller is top notch, too.

Wow! Nicely done!
If not trade secrets, tell us more - what's the handle material, what's the blade coating, & how did you cut the kydex slots?
Love that innovative angle to the sheath / belt connection.

Thanks guys!

The blade is powder coated. The handle is paper micarta (love this material...very dense!) Kydex slots and holes were done on my cnc mill. Belt loop slots done on manual mill. profile done on saw and belt grinder.

This stuff cuts so easy I am sure it could be done on most any drill press with an x y table. My prototype was a riveted leather belt loop attached to the kydex. So holes were done on drill press and and belt loops cut in the leather and profile sawed then sanded...leather/kydex combo maybe still a better solution than my "production" sheath shown above? These sheaths can be very low tech. I will say these are easier for me personally to make as i do not fight neuropathy with these like I do the leather...

I did the curved slots because because I hate these big dinner plate sized kydex sheath and thought showing the shape of the knife inside the kydex would make things look more appealing...(To us kydex haters anyway...lol)

Cool model/ package. Very nice! Do you drill a tiny drain hole in back of the kydex as a drain?
I was supposed to tape a tiny dowel pin to the blade to mold in a drain hole...while my plastic was curing I realized what I forgot....Yes I will drill a drain hole...though I doubt the sheath would hold water...

Thanks for the reminder Fitzo!

I was supposed to tape a tiny dowel pin to the blade to mold in a drain hole...while my plastic was curing I realized what I forgot....Yes I will drill a drain hole...though I doubt the sheath would hold water...

Thanks for the reminder Fitzo!

You're welcome, sir! I think that, sometimes, when we have to do something we hate, it makes us do it all the better. That's a very pro version of a Kydex system. It makes me wonder what a crossdraw, edge-down, or just an edge down variation for an underhand draw would do.

Back