Swayback Jack

Mason Knives

Hi All, joined today, great forum!
Thought i post a recent knife i made. I have been making knives for a short time, this is my 26th attempt.
All comments, good or bad greatly appreciated!
Many thanks

Paul.

Sway
back Jack
RWL-34 Blade and spring
Black paper micarta scales
Stainless hardware
Blade length 3 1/8"

www.masonknives.co.uk

Jack,
Welcome to the Pack here at KDs.
Looks like a great little Swayback folder. Are you guys still able to carry any knives there in Jolly ol England?

Hi Laurence
Thanks for you kind words! Yes you can carry a knife in England, providing it is under a blade length of 3" and non-locking in a public place, if you have a good reason to have it. Not ideal i know, but that`s the way it is!
There are lots of talented makers in England, its a shame their work is not appreciated as a good working tool.
Cheers
Paul

You quick learners really chap my hide! Nobody has told you yet that this is supposed to be hard?:biggrin: I hope when I get to #26 mine look as good. Looking forward to seeing more of your knives.:eek: How hard was it to inlay the shield? I bought some from Boss along with a template, but haven't tried it yet.

Hi Bud, i have been lucky in that i had been making bronze sculpture for a long time, that taught me a lot of skills that were relevant to knife making. But its been a steep learning curve and i am not so quick, lots of sleepless nights! I will post you some photos of how i inlay a shield tomorrow. Its not as hard as it seems. Tony Bose does a good explanation on his web site. My shields also came from Tracy, well worth the money!
Cheers
Paul

www.masonknives.co.uk

Great work, Paul !!! Even with your back ground in the sculptures, I still believe that is a very short learning curve of 26 knives when I look at this one.
Frank

Paul, i like very much your swayback!
I'm in the building of mine (bone covers) and i am a little concerned about pinning: did you find any trouble pinning the handle back pin, where the pin hole is located on a sloped surface? I'm afraid i'm going to bend that pin!!! Do yo have any tip to share at regards?

Hi Stezzann
Thank you for your kind words.
The end pin will give you trouble if the liners and spring are not perfectly flat. Make sure this is the case. I peened the centre pin first, then the rear pin. Take your time, and go gently. I use a tapered reamer on all the holes to allow the pin to swell. Hope this helps. If you want to know more, please ask.

All the best
Paul
www.masonknives.co.uk

Hi! Some pictures of how i inlay sheilds.
The sheilds were from Tracy. I made the Templates from O1 steel and hardened, but not tempered them.
The jig is shop made by me from aluminium scrap on E-bay.
The cutters are 1mm diameter.
Take it slowly, a little depth at a time.
Mark the shield which way is up, before you start, as they are rarely symmetrical.
Super glue in place and pin using 2 x 1mm pins.

Thanks for looking
Paul

www.masonknives.co.uk

Back