Survival/Fighter Bowie

firecog

I just finished this up
This is a nice, stout bowie ground from 5160, differentially tempered heat treatment by Lee Oates/Bearclaw Knives
(the back edge is hardened) with a very basic kydex sheath. It has some nice heft and will chop ease, and while not the fastest blade, it can easily be pressed into service as a very capable fighter.
Blade length: 8"
Overall length: 13 1/4"
Blade width: 1 7/16"
Blade thickness: 5/16" at the guard, no taper until the swedge
Balance point approx 1/2" in front of guard
Handle: OD G10
Hardware: Stainless
Weight: approx 15 oz without sheath

109_3719.jpg
109_3720.jpg
109_3721.jpg
109_3722.jpg
109_3724.jpg
109_3726.jpg
109_3727.jpg

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. In my humble opinion, you can't beat a bowie, best overall knife design of all time.

The line on the third pic at the blade/guard joint is left over slurry, not a gap in the fit. I guess I was just in too much of a hurry to take the pics.
One other thing I forgot to mention is that the handle is mortised into the guard. I have done this on all of my hidden tangs, but admittedly it's very time consuming to get the fit just right and you have to be careful not to grind too far when you're finishing up the handle. However, I think it greatly improves the strength of that joint so hopefully it's worth it.
I am resolving to do the majority of the stock removal on the guard prior to glue up next time. I learn a little more each time.
Also, the guard and its initial slot were cut out by GLWJ which was well worth it and Dave is really great to work with.

Back