Surface rust removal

smithy

Anyone have an easier way to remove surface rust from equipment, other than sanding. I just bought a 3/4 hp drill press and the center shaft is covered with surface rust from sitting in his garage. It's runs great as is.

Since time is my enemy, I am looking for a quicker way remove this rust rather than sanding it off. Any suggestions?

Teddy,
There are no fast fixes when it comes to rust.
Get a can of good old WD-40,it's a rust displacement solvent. Not a lubricant like everyone thinks it is.
Rubber Gloves, A can of WD-40, some Scotchbrite pads and a large can of elbow grease and you are good to go! Squirt it and let it sit overnight and start scrubbing!

If the rust is not in a mechanical place? You can just go with the dark glasses.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I'm abig fan of Scotchbrite and Corrosion X. Corrosion X is very similar in consistency to WD-40, but is a true rust inhibitor as opposed to being a Water Displacement formula. It's primarily marketed as a rust inhibitor for marine engines and componenents and is used by many A&P mechanics to protect aircraft frames and components as well. It works great on firearms and knives as well.

Thank you all for your tips. After reading about CorrosionX, I am duly impressed. I just ordered it. And Mark, thank you for the Wiki site, it looks really useful for all kinds of 'how-tos'. ...Teddy

I'm abig fan of Scotchbrite and Corrosion X. Corrosion X is very similar in consistency to WD-40, but is a true rust inhibitor as opposed to being a Water Displacement formula. It's primarily marketed as a rust inhibitor for marine engines and componenents and is used by many A&P mechanics to protect aircraft frames and components as well. It works great on firearms and knives as well.

I have two, Gallons Yes! two gallons of WD-40 in gallon cans that a friend gave me along with a lot of other stuff for helping her clean out a tool shed.

After that's gone I will give this Corrosion X stuff a try. Thanks for the tip.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I don't think you guys will be disappointed with Corrosion X. To give you an example of how well it works, I'll share the story of my first experience with the product.

For the majority of my military career I was a member of an Infantry Anti-Armor Unit. As such, we had all of the heavy weapons for our battalion (TOW Missile Systems, MK-19 grenade launchers, and Browning M-2 machine guns). The M-2 will rust at the drop of a hat if you even look at it wrong.

During the Summer of '99 or 2000, we were preparing for a field exercise at Ft. Chaffee when one of my NCOs handed me a can of Corrosion X and instructed me to spray down our platoon's M-2s. He then told me that after I gave them 20-30 minutes to "soak", to wipe them dry.

During the two week field exercise it rained numerous times and humidity remained at 80%+ along with temperatures in the high 90s. The moisture, heat, and direct sunlight were causing a lot of issues even with daily maintenance for the other platoons. At the end of the two weeks when the other platoons were spending hours cleaning their weapon systems and gear, we were finished in just a couple. All it took was another light coat of Corrosion X and some denim rags and we were heading to the bar for a cold one while the others spent most of the night scrubbing. I've been sold on the product ever since!

One point, as a former race team bicycle mechanic, working in a bike shop, and after having to tell countless dads, WD-40 isn't a lubricant or a rust displacer. It's a water displacer, hence the WD. After you clean a mechanical part with solvent and then rinse it clean with water, the WD-40 is used to displace water that may be hiding in small crevices and moving bits. Once the water is displaced, a lubricant is used.

Just something for trivia night at the local pizza joint.

Teddy
Here is a product that several people endorse on another site
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-gallon-evapo-rust-rust-remover-96431.html

]

I definitely agree with Mark here. Evaporust is extremely safe and doesn't have an odor (not much of one at least). I keep a container of it to throw things in randomly when I see rust appear. I've cleaned old school metal shears that were rusted shut just by dropping them in the container for 4-6 hours and all the rust was gone. Its safe enough that even on the label it recommends that to dispose of the product once it can't remove rust anymore (the solution is saturated) you filter out the bits and dump it down the drain.

For heavier rust I recommend electrolysis (no stainless or galvanized metal in this).

Obviously not suitable for all applications, but I rigged up an electrolysis tank and its simply amazing as far as I am concerned.

Back