Surface plate

Gliden07

SCORE!! Been looking for a surface plate to help with my builds, flatten scales etc...Everything I found was to big, to expensive, beat to death. Well finally found a Rahn 18x18x4 (oh my back) with a stand for it $150 out the door! Just picked it up today! Anyone wanna help me move it?? LOL!!

Attachments

• 20201114_114241.jpg
    20201114_114241.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 20201114_114239_resize_71.jpg
    20201114_114239_resize_71.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 13
Nice score! I picked up a Starrett at an auction for a similar price 2 years ago. I was able to get it up on my table by myself in steps. I couldn't lift it completely off the ground, only 1/2 at a time. I think the lifting problems come from it being bulky and no place to get a great grip.
Just checked online, and they run about #150-160.

Last year Tim Zowada and I visited a guy who laps those things to certify them for incredible tolerances. It was a real treat to watch him work because, believe it or not, the most accurate lapping is still done by hand with a cast iron plate and carefully applied diamond powder. He checks it with a laser collimator type device until it is true to almost unbelievable tolerances. My plate for laying out swords is 5' long, so it would be too much to move, but it would be fun to have it worked and certified.

Nice score! I picked up a Starrett at an auction for a similar price 2 years ago. I was able to get it up on my table by myself in steps. I couldn't lift it completely off the ground, only 1/2 at a time. I think the lifting problems come from it being bulky and no place to get a great grip.
Just checked online, and they run about #150-160.
You may be right. Very difficult to grab onto!

Geez, y'all need to get in shape! Come on down and buck 3 or 4 tons of hay with me. The bales weigh about a buck and a half each. You'll feel it in the morning. You'll ache in places you didn't know you had !!!

My layout table is about 30"x60" and weights in at around 1000 lbs when I go out to the shop I will get a pix. It came from our old machine shop , my son got ambitious one day.IMG_2209.JPG Used as a catch all at this time

Last edited:
My layout table is about 30"x60" and weights in at around 1000 lbs when I go out to the shop I will get a pix. It came from our old machine shop , my son got ambitious one day.View attachment 75840 Used as a catch all at this time
Nice!
Last place I worked had a large machine shop. They had several Starrett plates but they weren't as big as that. Probably in the 150-200 lb range. When I was feeling tired I'd go out and pick 'em up for a pick-me-up :D

I purchased a granite slab from Wood Workers Supply on sell a couple of years ago. I think it’s 18x18x3”. I use it all the time.

Back