Surface grinding

Freds Edge

Does anyone have some pointers on surface grinding , when I surface grind thinner stock .124 an down I get the bends !

Also,take off equal from both sides. Take off .005 then flip it over and take off another .005 this will reduce the warpage.

The grit of the wheel also has a lot of affect on heat buildup. Use a coarse grit (60) or so for metal removal, finer grit for finish.

Thanks Guys , as soon as it gets into the 20s or 30s I will try to heat the shop and put this advise to work.

For higher material removal rates I've found the best method is to remove .010" on the Z axis while feeding your Y axis in at .020" per pass using a 36 grit wheel and flood coolant. After completing a full pass flip the bar and grind the opposite side. As you grind the leading edge of the wheel will break down exposing fresh grain while keeping the remainder of the wheel nearly perfectly dressed. This will allow the dressed section of the wheel to "spark out" the material being ground providing an excellent finish.

Back