Thank you guys for the inspiration!
I've been looking for a better way of surface grinding, my process today involves my belt grinder, disc grinder and surface plate. But it's time consuming and not really giving me the precision I'd like. So I came across One Armed's build, and then KenH's and knew I had to build one myself. I sourced the parts a while ago but haven't had the time to get it all together. But I managed to get it done today. It was a fun build with a lot of small challenges for a non machinist. I learned a lot making it. Thanks KenH for the tips about milling, I sourced a 10mm 3 flute 45 deg helix carbide end mill made for aluminium, it was like cutting hot butter, even with my mini mill.
I'm also waiting for some 75x2000 mm (3" x 78") belts. I built the SGA with a 75x200 mm (3"x8") serrated wheel so I can take full advantage of the 60x400mm (2,36" x 15 3/4") magnetic chuck. A lot of my knives are 50-60mm wide. This means I don't have to track the belt up and down for full coverage.
The components I sourced:
Linear stage sliding table
Linear slide rail
Chuck and plates
The magnetic chuck is made from AW-2007 aluminium. The holding plate for the chuck and the mount plate for the slide rail is made from O1 tool steel.
The linear stage sliding table was a little less precise than I wanted. If I were to build it again I would probably get this one instead:
So I had to take it apart and lap the pieces for a tighter dovetail fit. I now have a runout of about 0.02mm (~0.0008") across the slide. And I decided to get a lot of magnets on the chuck since they're only 4mm. And it seem to have done the trick, the grip is fantastic.
I also put the two stops at the correct distance for easy tapered tangs, just like Wuertz SGA.
I decided to build the whole package on the same tooling arm for more rigidity.
Now that everything seem to be in perfect working order, and with the precision I want. I'll probably make it a little prettier, round some corners, gun blue the O1 and so on.
I did the finish work today, so I replaced the pictures with the updated ones.
Here are some pictures.