Surface grinder chucks?

Daniel Macina

Been looking quite a few surface grinder Chuck’s for my surface grinder and was just curious exactly what you’re paying for with them? I know the fine pole are going to be more expensive as are the electromagnetic but aside from that there is still quite the price difference with some of them that appear to be exactly the same except for the brand name. Doesn’t seem like you’re paying for flatness because you’re going to dress it once you mount it anyways? Are you paying for the strength of the magnets? Just curious because it seems like there are some good Inexpensive fine pole Chinese made ones but I’m not sure if the price difference between one of those name brand is worth it? Thanks for any thoughts.

Last edited:
I bought one of the Chinese fine pole chucks off eBay to use on my SG. I think it was in the neighborhood of $250-$300 several years ago.
I'm sure it isn't as precise or well made as a US made product, but it has worked perfectly fine for my use in knifemaking.
The Chinese chuck strength is more than adequate.
Yes, you will need to dress your wheel and your chuck.
Are you converting to 2 x 72 belt use?

In addition to holding blades, I use a small vise on the chuck to thin down and flatten scales, and it stays anchored down.
Also get yourself a set of magnetic v blocks on eBay. They are needed for additional types of set ups.

I bought one of the Chinese fine pole chucks off eBay to use on my SG. I think it was in the neighborhood of $250-$300 several years ago.
I'm sure it isn't as precise or well made as a US made product, but it has worked perfectly fine for my use in knifemaking.
The Chinese chuck strength is more than adequate.
Yes, you will need to dress your wheel and your chuck.
Are you converting to 2 x 72 belt use?

In addition to holding blades, I use a small vise on the chuck to thin down and flatten scales, and it stays anchored down.
Also get yourself a set of magnetic v blocks on eBay. They are needed for additional types of set ups.
I appreciate it! Those sound exactly like the chucks I was looking at. Good to hear they are at least usable. I am hoping to stay away on converting to belts for the time being on this machine. I would prefer to have a different machine for belts. Thanks for the tips on the extra accessories I will definitely pick some up!

Back