Surface grinder belt questions.

HHH Knives

Super Moderator
what belts do you use to do HEAVY stock removal? I mean really tearing it up!! like cleaning up damascus billets.

I have used 36 G Blaze as well as the cubitron II 36 g Both of these belts work well. and both of them have issues that are making me look at other belts.

Quite possibly Im thinking way to hard about this and any 36G belt will do the job.. But I figured B4 I spend the next 4 weeks searching for and buying every style 36G belt then another month or more testing to see what one works best and or does not work very well etc. I would ask the pound!

I have a rather large damascus order coming down the pipes. and will be burning through a bunch of these belts. to fill the order. So any extra pointers or suggestions pointing me in the right direction would be helpful.

On a side note Im grinding High Carbon steel. forge scale and ladder tracks etc. and stock removal to spec. So Im asking alot from the belts!

Thanks in advance for anyone who comments and makes suggestions. Web links are always appreciated. :)
Randy

Randy
Have you looked into getting some of the pieces that require lots of material removal Blanchard ground. I am in the process of getting my blanchard up and running and have talk to lots of people on the eastern side of USA and there seems to be a lot of Blanchard grinding companies down there.
I spent a weekend with Steve Kelly and used his blanchard grinder and it will remove a lot of material in a short time and very precision
Jim

Jim, I looked into them B4 Buying the surface grinder. Because of the size of the machines, I had to go with a surface grinder. I currently have a 6X18" table I added a 2" belt conversion. Its awesome and I like it alot.

Now, Im just trying to gleam some experience from the pound on what belts work best/cut longest etc. On a belt converted machine.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I take about .005" per pass on the billets My belt type surface grinder will work on damascus but it eats up belts. The forge scale is really hard to remove.

I found that the angle grinder is best to remove the forge scale. I have also had some success with vinegar soaks.

ernie

I use the same heavy grit on the SG as I do on the grinder(s)...for me that is a 50 grit. HERE"S THE KEY...as has been mentioned, forge scale is one of the toughest things you'll ever put a belt against......my advice is to add a step. After the material is annealed, get rid of the forge scale with a large angle grinder....THEN go to the SG. That might seem counter productive, but believe me....it will cut WAY back on the time you spend at the SG, and will save you big $$ in belts.

I use the same heavy grit on the SG as I do on the grinder(s)...for me that is a 50 grit. HERE"S THE KEY...as has been mentioned, forge scale is one of the toughest things you'll ever put a belt against......my advice is to add a step. After the material is annealed, get rid of the forge scale with a large angle grinder....THEN go to the SG. That might seem counter productive, but believe me....it will cut WAY back on the time you spend at the SG, and will save you big $$ in belts.

I've found the same thing. Any belt I've ever used is hopeless against forge scale. I use a Black and Decker 7"-9" angle grinder with a stone on it. There are a couple kinds of those stones, one is light duty and shears away in a day or two and the other is silicone carbide that lasts and lasts. I had to order it at Oxarc as they dont put it on the shelf. It cost more but WOW it works.

We damascus makers are a strange lot I think. The metal working industry isnt geared to handle us so we have to actually invent most everything we need, you notice that? I'm actually thinking of mounting my big angle grinder with the silicone carbide stone on my surface grinder.

I have had some success with soaking in white vinigar but takes a few days for it to come reasonably clean.
Jim

Hey Mike,
What kind of shot blast are you talking about? I have to go downtown and borrow a bead blaster. My little HF one is a joke.
Randy just another suggestion here, if it was me I would shot blast the scale off and then surface grind.

Thanks guys! That makes sense and we will give it a shot. I appreciate you guys taking the time to help :) God Bless YA!

Back