Surface conditioning belts

I use the surface conditioning on hollow ground and it can wash out the grind lines if you let it get close. I put lotsa blue tape along the grind line and am very careful not to let it get on that line. I'll hand sand at the bevel line at least it cuts down on the hand sanding.

Everyone is right, they won't take out deep scratches but I see that as a good thing. It "points them out" to me and then I go back with a 1000 grit norax belt and fix those. The norax belts are nice as you can get the high grits but without the annoying "bump" from the seam.
What grind lines are you talking about? I don't do scandi, saber, etc grind so the only lines that I typically have on a blade are the plunges and swedges, so this may not be a problem for me.

What grind lines are you talking about? I don't do scandi, saber, etc grind so the only lines that I typically have on a blade are the plunges and swedges, so this may not be a problem for me.

That was bad wording on my part, I should have said "washes out the bevel lines".

Reactions: tmr
I do full height flat grind or, on occasion, VERY shallow full height hollow grinds using an 18 or 36 inch "radius"convex platen, so I probably don't have any "crisp grind lines" to wash out. ;) For me, the 3m belts just don't work. Now, I have tried to "buff" with the broke down cork belts with green compound like Steve Johnson suggests. That seems to work okay.
have you used the film backed 3m belts........i know that i am not crazy about the trizact belts from 3m but the film back micron belts have really good results for me.......i use a 20 inch wheel a lot for hollow grinds and a rotary rubber backed platen on the flat grinds......i go down to 5 micron and then buff

have you used the film backed 3m belts........i know that i am not crazy about the trizact belts from 3m but the film back micron belts have really good results for me.......i use a 20 inch wheel a lot for hollow grinds and a rotary rubber backed platen on the flat grinds......i go down to 5 micron and then buff
Yes and I prefer the Gators. Anything beyond that I hand sand most of the time.

Back