super glue

Freds Edge

Does anyone have a fix for bonded parts bonded with super glue , I glued a brass spacer to a guard when I drilled the pin holes so I would have perfect alignment.I though I would be able to just twist them apart , that is a no go . They are currently sitting in acetone , hoping that works.

I have a bottle of superglue that tipped over and dripped on a shelf. I can't remove it for the life of me. the whole bottle is stuck for life. I wish I had an answer. Sometimes I use that stuff and it doesn't work at all then other times it's a bear.

I accidentally super-glued my finger to a sheath the other day. Lots of swearing and a little fingernail polish remover seemed to help.

As mentioned before, acetone should soften the glue allowing you to seperate. Heat works good on epoxy, and should help with CA

I've used superglue on bolsters when drilling the pin holes. I had to use a chisel to separate them. Luckily I'd only finished the front of the bolsters so there was minimal damage.
I've also tried acetone. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Seems to depend on how long the superglue has been on and other unknown factors

I should have added, variable temp paint stripper heat gun better than torch, torch pretty agressive, hard to control temperature. Have seen some glues epoxies not wanting to release until above 250*f. Oven heat also controllable.

I use super glue a lot for temporary fixturing, easiest way I have found to separate parts ( assuming they are not fragile material) is to put them in the freezer for a bit and then drop them onto a "hard surface". I put "hard surface" in quotes, because it's entirely relative to the parts you're trying to separate. I would suggest a wood surface for brass parts.

Loctite makes a clean up solvent X-NMS don't know if it will work on fully set super glue, is also expensive, works well for clean up.

Well guys after sitting in acetone over night it came apart like a peanut butter sandwich , my next step would have been heat.Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:
Back