super glue (cyanoacrylate) for handles.

Pros
drys very quickly (short time between re-coat)
very hard finish....very hard...
very clear....maximizes the grain. no tint added by finish. beautiful finish on good wood.
buffs amazing...can do a high shine or easily pull back to a satin. Wherever you like it.
fills pores nicely
few coats needed
spot fixing is pretty easy
Does it stabilize? I'm thinking it seals everything against moisture but maybe not?

Sorry for being late to respond, we had a quick weather change yesterday, and the Lupus had me balled up on the couch most of the day.

Anyway, as has been mentioned..... K&G is the "go to" for stabilizing. There is a reason the turnaround is often long with them....it's because they are careful and good.

This is an opportunity for me to make an important statement to those who are either contemplating or experimenting with "home brew" stabilizing. Until/unless you are using industrial grade equipment, AND using the "high end" (as in near $1K for a 5 gallon pal) stabilizing agent, you're far better off just sending materials to K&G. All of the kitchen pots/plexiglass lids, cheesy vacuum pump junk, as well as the stabilizing agents being offered as "home stabilizing equipment", is just those preying on the popularity of knifemaking.... trying to suck the money out of your pocket! I can say that, because I've been down the road, and spent a couple of years trying to do it in my own shop. All it got me was a lot of wasted time, money, and trashed handle materials.

Ed...should I not be using CA as a sealer either?
When you say "sealer", are you talking about literally covering a handle with it? If so, I personally would not. I don't have the number off the top of my head, but Loctite makes an industrial grade CA, which is what I use for sealing TINY knots, voids, etc. in handles. (if any void is much more then 1/32", I use acraglass, which takes overnight) Specific types of CA do have their place in my shop, but they are for supplemental/specialized tasks, and NOT for anything long term.

Last edited:
Stick with oils for your finishes and glue for sticking stuff.

I like the super thin CA for putting a final seal on the vulcanized accent stuff, mammoth molar, musk ox, etc. But even then I likely sand a lot of it off so not sure how much is actually there.

Back