Suggestions on where to direct our efforts

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
This thread is to post ideas/suggestions for future guild meeting content.

Nothing is settled at this point but we are looking at the January 2020 guild meeting being focused on folder making.

We will need at least 3 instructors and it would be better to have teams of two working together.
We need some veteran folder makers to volunteer.

We will have rotations across 3 stations. In other words, we divide the group into 3 and have them go from station to station.

Suggestion for future meeting:
Bring in a couple experts on heat treating. We would have sessions on various aspects of heat treating such as:
  • Heat treating basic over view
  • forging - what temp to forge, how to cycle, quench oils,
  • Stock removal - soak times, Cryo, quench methods
  • heat treating for maximum steel performance

We have two of the top experts in the area, Howard and Kevin. Kevin is a genius, and always helpful when I've asked. I think Howard does a great job at putting things in layman's terms. Larrin would also be a great presenter. I'm not sure where he lives or if he would be willing to help. We could always do a "Go-to-meeting" style gathering.

I exchanged a few emails with Larrin Thomas this morning and if he would be interested in an expense paid trip to a meeting to give a talk on heat treating. His series on https://knifesteelnerds.com/ is really taking on long established myths with science. He said he would be open to coming if we can work with him on when it is.

Suggestion for future meeting:
Bring in a couple experts on heat treating. We would have sessions on various aspects of heat treating such as:
  • Heat treating basic over view
  • forging - what temp to forge, how to cycle, quench oils,
  • Stock removal - soak times, Cryo, quench methods
  • heat treating for maximum steel performance

I'm not familiar with him. Could you please give me a little info?

Yes sir, He is a member of this guild as of today and makes some of the most beautiful folders I have seen. He is out of Hopkins, MO. I would strongly suggest a look at his Instagram or Facebook for representations of his work.

Yes sir, He is a member of this guild as of today and makes some of the most beautiful folders I have seen. He is out of Hopkins, MO. I would strongly suggest a look at his Instagram or Facebook for representations of his work.
I'll second that - this man is an amazing maker.

I don't feel like I have much of a say on topics since I missed the first two meetings and don't know what all was presented, but... as a non-blacksmith who buys blades to put handles on, I'd like to see a portion or "station" of each gathering devoted to handle-work and/or sheath making, tips on glue-up and epoxies, wood and other material selection. A couple of other ideas might be a seminar/discussion on blade design and what different styles are used for and why. I keep reading about stabilizing handle scales and don't really know what that entails, so that might be another topic. A demo on getting guards and pommels fitted properly might be good too. Just some thoughts... :)

I don't feel like I have much of a say on topics since I missed the first two meetings and don't know what all was presented, but... as a non-blacksmith who buys blades to put handles on, I'd like to see a portion or "station" of each gathering devoted to handle-work and/or sheath making, tips on glue-up and epoxies, wood and other material selection. A couple of other ideas might be a seminar/discussion on blade design and what different styles are used for and why. I keep reading about stabilizing handle scales and don't really know what that entails, so that might be another topic. A demo on getting guards and pommels fitted properly might be good too. Just some thoughts... :)
Those are reasonable ideas. There were a number of "newer" makers at the meeting and I'd bet that many of them would respond to topics such as you've listed. Thanks for your input.

If possible I would like to see a calendar set that has one class per month. Spread over various places and with no real specificity on one topic per year. This would allow all of us with larger shops to host classes that are our strengths. It will also allow our individual perspectives and approaches to strengthen the Guild as a whole. If we attached a small class fee the host could handle food and materials in house as well.

While I agree that the meeting was great, viewing the grinding or kydex was a bit tough.
Something I'd like to propose, a camera setup for shared viewing. Thanks to modern tech, this is pretty simple and cheap.
1. Old cell phone or tablet with decent camera
1a. Tripod for the phone
2. Google Chromecast
3. 42" or larger TV, mounted on top of a ladder or tripod
4. PA speaker, wireless mic

I will begin by donating a Chromecast that I no longer use. I have the rest as well that I use for Shrine events, but can't leave them and might not make it to every meeting, clinic, class, etc.
These are not expensive, nor do they have to be top of the line. Tripods for phones are under $20. A 12" PA speaker, $130, wireless headset $25, find a TV at a garage sale or get one on clearance after Christmas. If someone replaces one of theirs, maybe the guild could buy it.

That definitely needs to be addressed. I asked my graphics guy to look into some low cost tech for that.

While I agree that the meeting was great, viewing the grinding or kydex was a bit tough.
Something I'd like to propose, a camera setup for shared viewing. Thanks to modern tech, this is pretty simple and cheap.
1. Old cell phone or tablet with decent camera
1a. Tripod for the phone
2. Google Chromecast
3. 42" or larger TV, mounted on top of a ladder or tripod
4. PA speaker, wireless mic

I will begin by donating a Chromecast that I no longer use. I have the rest as well that I use for Shrine events, but can't leave them and might not make it to every meeting, clinic, class, etc.
These are not expensive, nor do they have to be top of the line. Tripods for phones are under $20. A 12" PA speaker, $130, wireless headset $25, find a TV at a garage sale or get one on clearance after Christmas. If someone replaces one of theirs, maybe the guild could buy it.

Back