Suggestions for good clean bevels and ricassos?

Man that sounds like a boneyard to tour and acquire. Around here we get brass at 4.00 a pound. Kinda spendy fast. I'm in sw oregon Roseburg

Elk is a bit fickle. Have to drill oversize tang holes, it splits if you try and drive it on the tang. And were talking a 1/4 wide chunk flies off the antler. So is a very seldom thing. But I do think I may make one with split antler scales soon.

dc0e814267ec8d689deffb86b923cbfd.jpg

Here is a small knife I made for my daughter that was my education in elk antler. This is the third tine I used to make the handle. The others went splitsville.

Walt,
I have a suggestion for you.

Before you profile any more knife blanks. I want you to think out the intended use of the knife, then draw out several patterns and keep refining it until you want to show it to us. The gang here that has posted with positive information here like John, Rudy, Fred, Frank and a bunch of others will then see if we can give you some pointers to try.

I am saying this because I want to help. I know you are new at this and would just like to get you kick started in the right direction!:3:

I at the moment just have the few designs Im making. Just the simple pukko style straight spined hunting knives. Im at a creative wall combined with not cranking out crap to pass off as a knife. This is the last pair I am making for a while. I have 5 to clean up and send back for ht.
bfc1a9ae339189c1bc3f2fc6cf1c74d6.jpg

I searched out this thread to look for advice or hints for making my bevel meet in the middle,and keeping the same bevel on both sides. I have built a few knives so far, and haven't had much trouble with that before. Now, I finally have a decent belt-grinder, and guess I was too cocky. Working with the files might have kept me on track more? Who knows. The knife I'm on now is dealing me kind of a fit. I don't have any advice to offer wall e, except to do what I am doing... keep listening to these guys at Knife Dogs. Everything I just read here makes sense. I plan to print off the thread and refer back to it next time I'm grinding. Thanks, everyone!

Last edited:
Part of my issue Bill was working with already ht D2 planer blades. The other was just inexperience. It got easier after Mr Doyle showed me what I was doing both right and wrong. For that I thank him, for the truth and reality of how it is in this world of blade making I thank all the others.

714007b5bfb6a889f1af13d3dc0cf3c7.jpg

I think I got it figured out pretty good using annealed known 1080 steel. Same size 5/16 drill bit an some neon green nail polish.

Back