Stupid! Stupid!

Well I called KB today and they said to call a distributor. I called a distributor and they said to call KB. Lol. Try again tomorrow I guess.

I used to repair amps, fx pedals and various other electronic items for people, and Ed's experience with KB was similar to mine, when it came to calling a company for a replacement board. 90% of the the time, unless it was some kind of minor accessory board or module, the replacement board price was about 75% to 85% the cost of what the entire brand new unit would cost me, which, in my opinion is not worth it.

Now, it's possible that you have a local electronics supply/repair shop that might charge you a reasonable fee to swap out a couple of components, but they may also want to charge you a prohibitive repair price as well.

If I had to make a guess, the repair cost is gonna be nearly the price of a new unit, in which case, I'd try fixing it yourself, or buy a new one and keep the old one for spare parts.

If you don't get anywhere with the distributors and KB, and if you want to pay the cost of shipping (to and from) and the cost of the components, I'd take a look at it for you for no charge, but I can't promise it'll be fixable.

I used to repair amps, fx pedals and various other electronic items for people, and Ed's experience with KB was similar to mine, when it came to calling a company for a replacement board. 90% of the the time, unless it was some kind of minor accessory board or module, the replacement board price was about 75% to 85% the cost of what the entire brand new unit would cost me, which, in my opinion is not worth it.

Now, it's possible that you have a local electronics supply/repair shop that might charge you a reasonable fee to swap out a couple of components, but they may also want to charge you a prohibitive repair price as well.

If I had to make a guess, the repair cost is gonna be nearly the price of a new unit, in which case, I'd try fixing it yourself, or buy a new one and keep the old one for spare parts.

If you don't get anywhere with the distributors and KB, and if you want to pay the cost of shipping (to and from) and the cost of the components, I'd take a look at it for you for no charge, but I can't promise it'll be fixable.

This is a good post.

I was basing what I said on my industrial career, but Drew makes a great point. Things are very different as an end user in the retail world. When you buy a million bucks worth of stuff a year from a distributor you are in an entirely different world than when you are calling a company who never heard of you and trying to get some decent support.

Thanks buddy! I finally talk to somebody and it was only gonna be 50 bucks cheaper than getting a new one and that was without shipping so I might actually save money by buying a new one! I don't think I would be capable of replacing the parts even if I could find them so I think I'll just buy a new one. I might get one of the cheap Chinese ones and put filters over it but I will probably Just buy another KBEC. We'll see after Christmas. I am so sick of breaking all of my equipment! I really appreciate the offer.

Thanks buddy! I finally talk to somebody and it was only gonna be 50 bucks cheaper than getting a new one and that was without shipping so I might actually save money by buying a new one! I don't think I would be capable of replacing the parts even if I could find them so I think I'll just buy a new one. I might get one of the cheap Chinese ones and put filters over it but I will probably Just buy another KBEC. We'll see after Christmas. I am so sick of breaking all of my equipment! I really appreciate the offer.

That's what I figured. Well, the offer stands. If you want to ship it to me, I'll find the 2 parts that burned up and change them out for you and see if that does the trick. I doubt the parts will cost much more than a few dollars, assuming it's just those two pieces. I live in Valparaiso, Indiana, if you want to see what shipping would cost.

There's little way to know if anything else didn't get burned up, or if any logic/EEPROM got roasted (which will require a full board swap), but there's a small chance that a new transistor and cap will get it running.

Back