Stuck Drill Bit

Casey Brown

Has anyone ever had a drill bit get stuck in a block of wood? I literally was drilling a tang hole today for a hidden tang in a block of desert ironwood, and the bit actually got stuck in the wood. It literally stopped my drill press. I may have just lost a block of wood. That ironwood is tough stuff.

Well, it sort of worked. I could start working the bit out, but it broke before I could get it all the way out. Oh, well. You win some, you lose some. It was a really pretty piece of ironwood, but not that expensive, so back to the drawing board.

Yep. This block was so gummy, I had to stop 3 times on the first hole to clean out the grooves on the bit because it had stopped cutting. I think I got impatient on the second whole and push it a little bit too hard.

Can you drill from the opposite end with a little larger bit until you meet the stuck bit and then try driving it out from the original drill hole.

Just a guess, try thermal changes. First, try cold, put the wood and drill in the freezer for a few hours. If it won't budge when cold, try a heat gun or torch. If possible, heat the wood more than the drill.
Or try soaking the block of wood and drill in lacquer thinner overnight

I think you need to threw out the Chines drill bits, have never seen a drill bit untwisted, just kidding, if the bit got hot it expands in the hole witch may have some thing to do with it, opaul may have the answer.

If it was a through tang, I could make that work. However, it wasn't. I can probably salvage some of it for a frame handle if I decide to go that route on another knife.

I've tried using a carbide bit in the past to try to drill out a broken tap. Carbide is great, but it's very brittle and will break if it gets any bend in it, which I found out the hard way. I think my carbide bits cost more than than the drill bit and block of wood combined.

It was a Dewalt bit, so I had some confidence in it. It was pretty crazy how stuck this was. Really like ironwood, but it is not easy to work with.

Back