Struggling with makers mark

Mark Barone

So if I use my hog head, my name under it seems to take up too much real estate on a knife. I make smaller knifes like neck knives. And if I make everything smaller my name might blurr out and be too small. How does this look if I incorporate my name into the head. I really love the head so I don't want to take away from it. IMG_4262.JPG

Maybe try the name vertical behind the head. To me the name inside of the head makes the head harder to know what it is.
Another thought would be the head on one side of the knife and your name and city/state on the other.

I dont like it as well in the middle of the hog head. This would make it longer but it would look good maybe if the Barone was running down the spine of the hog head.

Again.....what's the purpose of your mark? If it's to help people find you, it needs to be clear and crisp.....no cursive, and not blended in with an image. Just sayin.

I would have to disagree with Ed. I'm a firm believer that your mark should represent you and the knives you make. If the hog head is what you like and the people in your are love it on your blades do it. The age in my opinion of not knowing who made the blade has changed. Social media and the internet changed that game. And if they cant find you your probably not making knives anymore.

This is just my opinion and should be taken just as that your mileage may vary.

I don't see any problem at all with having an animal logo as long as your name is also included.

For the logo shown I'd separate it from your name for clarity.

Check out John Barker's maker mark. It's very well done and features his name prominently.

Of course it helps that his name is Barker making a dog's head logo a no brainer.

I would have to disagree with Ed. I'm a firm believer that your mark should represent you and the knives you make. If the hog head is what you like and the people in your are love it on your blades do it. The age in my opinion of not knowing who made the blade has changed. Social media and the internet changed that game. And if they cant find you your probably not making knives anymore.

This is just my opinion and should be taken just as that your mileage may vary.
My makers mark is very simple and it has become synonymous with my screen name but then I am not making collector grade knives (well apart from the odd one now and again) I only operate under my screen name so a google search will find any amount of information about me and when I am gone then it is of no concern to me whether I am known or not.
If Hogs head knives become so desirable among the collectors then there will be a cult following who will share the information amongst the group.

Last edited:
I Think I am going with just the hog head. I don't want it too busy with my name. I do get Ed's reasoning. In fact, I follow that marketing in my own clinical practice. My practice name is Mark Barone LICSW. For the reasoning Ed talks about.
I have no plans on becoming a busy knifemaker and only doing this for fun. I hope to make a knife a month and sell a knife a month. I have even been playing with names like Hog's Breath Blades or Hog Head Knives. Wow John Barkers knives are $$$ but BEAUTIFUL.

Last edited:
Boars Head Brand is good.....oh wait, I think that's been taken Ha ha..
Retro, I'll throw my two cents in here. my logo is just my name, inside of some sort of pentagram thing. years ago I sat down an said self...I need a logo. I was done with it in about 15 min. I think that your thinking this thing out too much. Barone is not a common name like Miller, there's several Miller knife makers so my mark IS identifiable amongst the other millers.

Your name alone on a blade would be fine, it would also be fine with a hogs head with your name under it. but whatever you use I highly recommend using your name, I think you'll be glad you did in the future.

who knows, you could have three new makers appear before the end of the year using hogs heads as their mark...oh oh...then what?
twice in the last year I've had two people contact me on my website about "their Miller knife"...one had catastrophic faiure, the other claimed it was one of my "earlier" knives. I told them both to send pictures, neither one was one of mine. I explained to them...look at every knife on my site, every knife I ever sold has that same logo, so you'll have to look for another Miller knife maker that has a mark that matches your blade for your repairs.
Again...............use your name, you'll be glad you did.

I'm listening to everybody's remarks. I know it's my choice but feedback helps me focus. The hog head is definitely staying . I agree my name inside took away from the image, but some of you mentioned leaving it as just a head doesn't make it distinct enough. So now I'm adding just 2 letters as if the Hog was branded. I'm not sure if they will be my initials or initials of shop name.2CEE55AE-B56A-4757-B34F-A31F5708C2C1.jpg

Last edited:
Ok I see what you are saying. The funny thing is I really didn't want to add the neck bit felt I needed some balance with the letters underneath. See my original logo on my avatar. Once I added the letters it through it off. But I appreciate the critique.
Actually it still looks a bit off...might want to look at the forehead line projecting(continuing) out the back side of the ear without such a severe drop...

Sorry 'bout the red eye...couldn't resist.

View attachment 68724

Yup I see that. I'll work on it a bit more.

I really like the one in your avatar without the top neckline at all. Maybe just center the HB between the bottom of the ear and the little up-jag in the jowl line? (I'm still partial to just Barone under the head.)

I really like the one in your avatar without the top neckline at all. Maybe just center the HB between the bottom of the ear and the little up-jag in the jowl line? (I'm still partial to just Barone under the head.)

Yes that’s what I originally wanted but struggled getting a balance when I added the letters. But I will try to compromise and try moving it over. I just didn’t see a connection between. Barone and a Hog Head. My daughter’s married name is Bacon. Maybe she should head the company.

Back