straightening out a blade

Laurence you clearly don't know much about Arab's 'healthy food' lol

i could keel over if i ate the seriously rich and greasy stuff!!

we don't have those small butane torches here (sucks i know), however i was building my own freon tank forge, but there is one part that i cant seem to find (in good SAFE quality) the small tube/pipe/nipple, that injects the gas from the tank and into the larger pipe (building blown forge) i thought about doing it without it, but feel why waste good gas and good setup too!

i have the book, i read a lot from it when i started making.

and you should be proud to know that i got out his other book (can't remember tha neme, not wonder of knife making either) Bob Loveless', art of knife making, and two others to 'brush up' on knife making once more

Andrew, thanks a lot
you may find the solution to your over heating problem in Ed Caffrey's into to bladesmithing if i remember correctly, he forges and shows how to HT, and he heats using a torch

Shawn, thanks a lot. the sharing things from other forums is a tricky business

Laurence you clearly don't know much about Arab's 'healthy food' lol

i could keel over if i ate the seriously rich and greasy stuff!!

we don't have those small butane torches here (sucks i know), however i was building my own freon tank forge, but there is one part that i cant seem to find (in good SAFE quality) the small tube/pipe/nipple, that injects the gas from the tank and into the larger pipe (building blown forge) i thought about doing it without it, but feel why waste good gas and good setup too!

i have the book, i read a lot from it when i started making.

and you should be proud to know that i got out his other book (can't remember tha neme, not wonder of knife making either) Bob Loveless', art of knife making, and two others to 'brush up' on knife making once more

Well I do know a little bit about good Kosher food! LOL. A nice Brisket or pastrami sandwich & some Matzo ball soup like have you singing again in no time!

I am not talking about the small torches you see the Gangsta's smoke their Crack Cocaine with in the movies.
Though those will work!
You must have inexpensive torches for brazen solder in the plumbing section of whatever passes for a Hardware store there?
Any of the gases will get you started.

If I send you a hand torch assembly would it make it through customs without the special Police coming to arrest you??

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

lol something tells me you'll love food here after all ;)

i don't remember ever eating a brisket tho, tried something similiar but didnt like it
emm arent you talking about something like benzomatic? we don't have these (and i've looked!!)

i can get one for a large butane tank, but wont be very fuel efficient! either get an oxygen tank too, and that would be a whole other story, or find that part i'm looking for

emm can you show me a pic? i honestly don't know, they tend to be somewhat stupid when it comes to these things, no police would arrest me, worst comes to worst i'll be asked to get 'clearance'

thanks Laurence!!

lol something tells me you'll love food here after all ;)

i don't remember ever eating a brisket tho, tried something similiar but didnt like it
emm arent you talking about something like benzomatic? we don't have these (and i've looked!!)

i can get one for a large butane tank, but wont be very fuel efficient! either get an oxygen tank too, and that would be a whole other story, or find that part i'm looking for

emm can you show me a pic? i honestly don't know, they tend to be somewhat stupid when it comes to these things, no police would arrest me, worst comes to worst i'll be asked to get 'clearance'

thanks Laurence!!

Brisket is a roast from the front half of the cow. Makes great sandwiches!

Are you saying that you don't have Benzomatic bottles? or hand torches or both?? I can send you one of the torches if you have access to the gas in a container with the same fittings?

Find a Plumber and ask him what they use to sweat small pieces of piping? They must have something portable?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

we don't have anything related to the bernzomatic, the smallest portable thing i saw was maybe around the size of a Freon tank or bigger

the torches themselves (the part held in hand that the flame comes out of) is available in different forms, but i THINK all are too big, i mean fits large cylinders not the small hand held ones

you got me thinking a different way tho, Laurence.
i wanted to build a forge mostly to forge, but since i can't forge now (i actually work in an apartment building) i can get the torch and use it to HT or something

will look more into that
thanks

I worked in my garage in the apartment building for years~!
I had a friend that built a torch fed three brick forge on a cart and would push it out into the alley behind his apartment building to forge and HT his knives.:hammer:

All this talk of food got me hungry! My Brisket sandwich with fries with Au jour dipping sauce just arrived!
YUM! :s11798:

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

i wont be able to get away with that where i live!

some other areas a full blacksmith shop would be under a building ok, but here, no no! but there is always a way :)

lol yeah we strayed off topic, lets keep that for the ratatouille forum ;)
bel hanaa wal shefaa (with bliss and recuperation) at least thats the closest translation i could get :)

No comment.

20121219_131451.jpg

That one was the actual reason i posted that thread, left it in vise, found it like that just now (i left it in vise then went to parents for 2 days)

Edit: just realized its been four days, i dont know when it cracked but i guess i deserve that, and no one learns for free?

Last edited:
What a shame.... that was a good looking blade, but perhaps a very valuable lesson nonetheless.

I went through the same thing about a week and half ago.

ARCustomKnives:232530 said:
What a shame.... that was a good looking blade, but perhaps a very valuable lesson nonetheless.

I went through the same thing about a week and half ago.

Sorry to hear that, and definitely a valuable lesson!!

[video=youtube;reRXvvW6d1M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reRXvvW6d1M[/video]
sorry for the quality of the video!

these two blades warped in HT, then were surface ground (surface grinder didnt straighten then as requested)

the two options i see are reheat with shims (no idea if that would work for me or not) or taper tangs and compensate(this method will end up leaving very slight curve on the front part of the blade
all i have is an a kitchen oven for the straightening
steel is sverker 21 (D2) and the thickness for both is aprox 5mm (.2")

i tapered two blades before but didnt do a very good job, so lets assume both are new for me, any suggestions?

thanks

Typically, in order to straighten a warped blade on a surface grinder (I.E., grind out the warp), you need to shim underneath the bow. Otherwise, your magnetic chuck pulls the blade straight, and you're simply grinding a blade that's under tension (or compression).

Thanks Andrew

Yeah i know that, and he was supposed to use shims, but didnt, ao instead of telling hin again i decided i will do it myself with either of these methods

Back