Storing heat treating oil.

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
So I bought 5 gallons of heat treating oil and need to store it in something I can heat to about 130 degrees. And dunk super hot knife blades in......

I thought walmart would be the way to go as they have some super cheap thin stock pots. Nope. Anything 24 quarts and bigger is at least $59 bucks. And I wanted something a bit bigger than 20 qts (5 gallons) so that I'm not sloshing every where.

I found 30 quart turkey fryers at bass pro for $49 AND it comes with a thermometer AND i can use the stand to keep it off the floor AND I can heat the oil quickly with the burner. I may widen the stand and mount some wheels but I think this'll work fine.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-30-Quart-Propane-Turkey-Fryer/product/1112030501001/

Here's what I use

Just about anything sturdy will work - I cut the top off an old mig CO2 tank and welded on some leg extensions to stabilize. I can drop lid on the extinguish should the fluid flame up.

Attachments

• quench tank.jpg
    quench tank.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 47
Yeah! That's nice and simple. I didn't have anything laying around that I could use....which is unusual cause I tend to hoard.

i have two quench tanks. one is a stainless tube with tight fitting lid that the office bought for a time capsule that was never buried. the other is a 3 ft length of 8" pipe welded to a base.

I use a 20mm ammo can, search online they are usually under $40 shipped. lid has gasket and is removable plus will lock shut when not in use.

I will be getting a 22 quart stainless roasting oven from Walmart next week. $60. Don't need a separate heat source.

If I get to use my preferred alloys, I quench into a low-temp salt bath, but when I need to do some 10XX or W series I have two methods. The first, for horizontal quenching is a large roaster pan, I think you could get one for less than $60 at Walmart. It comes with a lid to keep things clean, and its own gentle heating system with a dial setting, which I verify with a thermometer. The second, for vertical quenching, that I use very often on the road is a stainless steel fire extinguisher that I cut the top off from and formed a pour spout in one side before attaching a bucket type handle to the top.

old maxwell house coffee can. I don't do anything over about 5 or 6 inches, so it works perfect! Just don't touch the can for a while after you quench.

Just about anything sturdy will work - I cut the top off an old mig CO2 tank and welded on some leg extensions to stabilize. I can drop lid on the extinguish should the fluid flame up.

Steve,
It's been a long, LONG TIME since I've had anvil envy..., Now, I can no longer say that! That one looks like a BEAST! And it looks like its in Pretty fine shape too!
Mind sharing some details on it? I would have never thought one that size would need a chain!? What was your thinking or reason for adding it? Thanks! Rex

Oh, and BTW, what will eventually be my new verticle quench tank, will be a fire extinguisher, with the top cut off, it should hold enough oil so that there will be enough in it and they are CHEAP! We are fortunate to have a local company here that does the recertifying of them, and when they are out dated, they go to the scrapyard! Where I pick them up for $10.00 bucks! And that's the biggest they make, the smaller ones are a little less. Also, I've been saving all of my old propane & Map gas bottles, don't know what for as of yet, but there has got to be something to repurpose them into! I guess spending my youth watching the likes of Mvgyver and the "A" Team, has left me with a need to squirrel away every piece of scrap I'm come acros! The cheap/free stuff anyway!
Rex

I use an old 40mm ammo can. I paid about $20 for it a few years back. It's about 18" long, and has a lid you can seal easily.

Last edited:
@macclellan - the Maine one you see is an American made JHM Competitor. Weighs 260 and stand weighs around 100#. I have it chained so if I'm bending stuff, there is no risk of anvil moving. To the left of the JHM, you can see a second anvil - 135#Fisher which I adore. The JHM is the shop workhorse - very happy with it.

@macclellan - the Maine one you see is an American made JHM Competitor. Weighs 260 and stand weighs around 100#. I have it chained so if I'm bending stuff, there is no risk of anvil moving. To the left of the JHM, you can see a second anvil - 135#Fisher which I adore. The JHM is the shop workhorse - very happy with it.

They are both Swweeeeettttt! All I have is a measly ole' 240# Hay Budden, made in 1894! That
was believed to have been used by a Chisel maker, there are more than a 100 chisel marks on the
side where it is iron. The great part about that is the face was pristene… , BEFORE ME! Its not that
bad now, just a few more deep dings in it than I want.
Great set up and beautiful anvils! Thanks for. Sharing! Rex

Back