Stop pins Question and source needed

Shane Wink

I have been specing out a tactical folder (Ti Framelock) and cant find a shouldered stop pin with 4/40 threads. I have a bag of shouldered stops threaded for 2-56 but can seem to find anything larger. Is a shouldered stop threaded in 2-56 plenty strong for a stop on a tactical folder? I also have some solid stop pins but I have only used them in liner locks. Is there a way to use them in a Ti frame lock that will not come loose at some point and fall out

If I'm understanding correctly...shouldered stop pins are intended to go into a counterbore. I assume you intent is to have a screw on each end to secure it? If so, unless its necessary for the design, I don't see the need.

To my knowledge, most who build framelocks simply have counterbores on the interior of the scales that "capture" the stop pin, and as long as the knife is together....there's no way it can come free/out.

Personally, all my stop pins are simply "hardened dowels" that I purchase from Enco or MSC. Most are 3/32", but I use various sizes depending on the knife, up to 1/8". I suppose that a shouldered pin could be used too, but I've never used them.

Thanks Ed , I understand all of that but I am looking for a shouldered stop with 4-40 threads rather than 2-56. I have 3/16th shouldered stops now but they are all 2-56 which is perfect for the smaller folders I am working on but for the larger tactical folders I want a larger stop with 4-40 threads. I dont have a lathe or i would make them.

Back