stitching*machine advice

Chef Niloc

Hi
I make sheaths for fun, I enjoy leather work except for when it comes to stitching. as a hobbyist I can't bring my self to spend 1k+ on a stitching machine, can you all give some advice as to what might suite my needs I need to go threw 3 layers of horsehide (that's what I use most)
need to use #5 linen cord. I only would be using it for about 15 minute at a time every few weeks, no more then 50 stitches at a time. I would groove the leather to inset the stitching, this would cut down on the thickness of the leather that it would have to go threw?
Lastly I need a table top machine, something I can put into the closet when not in use.
Thank you
Colin
P.s I joined this sight becous I think Paul long is the greatest sheath maker & bill Burke is the greatest knife smith and they seem to post here often.

Last edited:
Seriously, if that is all your going to do, I would just stick with an awl and a mallet.A good sharp and waxed awl will easily go through that thickness for a whole lot less money.When things get busier then think about upgrading your tooling if necessary.Dave:)

Dave's advice is solid. Its difficult to justify a machine period, but with no more than your doing its even more difficult.

I still to this day do more hand sewing than machine. The machine is catching up, but its a truly busy time when I decide its time to awaken the "beast"

Mine is a Tippman BOSS, they normally go for 1200 bucks plus though. But at about half the cost of an electric it does us well so far. It took an order of over 100 pieces at once to justify the cost for me.

I hope this helps

Guess I should just learn to like sewing by hand...or stick to glue.
Thinks I guess itwould be a little silly now come to think of it... Should have poasted here back befor I bought a KMG to sharpen my knives..

You could try using a drilll press. A # 45 drill bit will get you a small enouh hole to look hand stiched but big enough to use. You have to be very caeful on lining up the leather to make sure you are drilling straight down through but other wise it works well.
Steve

Thanks for the info Steve but I don't mind makeing holes it the stiching that kills me.
Thanks for the tip Paul, I sent him a email... Love your work! Ryan from NJ turned me on to it, I don't know if he has annoyed you enough yet to know him :)

Yes, I know him, and have done quite a bit of work for him. 2thumbs

I hope you can make a deal on the machine.

Paul

This was the 1st thread I ever started here. I thought I'd bump it seeing that I just pulled the tiger on a cobra class 4 premium package. Thay have a spacial going on for January that Steve twisted my arm into:13:. So almost 3 years it's been but I'll bet it will be worth the wait.

Did a few quick Cosmetic mods the the new Machine.

99c92dded6219dbc98ad25174b205753.jpg

24kt gold leafed the balance wheel, silver leafed wood "cobra' letters up the stand. And the. Coup de grâce, I sculpted a cobra cover plate in clay, mad a mold, cast in Aluminum then 24kt gold leafed them.

7ca94b2eb3825e06fbff5c5250f2e960.jpg

f574eb04aad83a878cb734306d535623.jpg

Side note I finished the old singer, didn't have room for it so I gave it to my sister who has a sewing school/ shop. It was a long but fun project. I recreated the old Japanning coating, long and dangerous as Chloroform proved to be the only solving that truly worked to dissolve the Asphaltum and Amber.

857e0eeed49c1f152e30df476a208ceb.jpg

Chief, I hope you sent copies of the photos/mods to Steve. He would get a kick out of that.

The clean up and restoration on that Singer 29 is amazing.

Paul

Thanks Paul, didn't think to send Steve any pic's but I will now another mod I did but didn't take a pic of (but I will) I made a rosewood draw to replace the plastic one and upgraded the peddle chanes to rods and cables.

I prefer to sew by hand. But I also enjoy having cool toys to play with. You did a nice job on those machines. I bet that was as much fun as using either of them will be.

I prefer to sew by hand. But I also enjoy having cool toys to play with. You did a nice job on those machines. I bet that was as much fun as using either of them will be.

Yes I must admit customizing and or restoring my own tools is just as rewarding.

Here is the chase splitter I redid. Completely torn down, gold leaf and house of kolor candy coated Urethane. Custom blade made from 52100 steel by master smith Michael Rader.
67be5e9d.jpg

d0283f5d.jpg

f3233fc8.jpg

3e560671.jpg

Even the bottom

f066f714.jpg

Home made stitching pony. Used zebra wood and a salvaged antique rosewood screw clamp and rought iron door hinge.
ecff187f.png

d668fd23.png

710fcfab.png

Yes I must admit Customizing and or restoring my own tools is just as rewarding.

Here is the chase splitter I redid. Completely torn down, gold leaf and house of kolor candy coated Urethane. Custom blade made from 52100 stel by master smith Michael Rader.
67be5e9d.jpg

d0283f5d.jpg

f3233fc8.jpg

3e560671.jpg

Even the bottom

f066f714.jpg

Works great

478d0b58.jpg

Home made stitching pony. Used zebra wood and a salvaged antique rosewood screw clamp.
ecff187f.png

d668fd23.png

710fcfab.png

Back