Still in the rough 2x72 belt grinder.

Abbott

I am working up a new belt grinder and I always enjoy seeing photos of other's work so here is one of mine:

IMG_0839.JPG

I am running a 3hp Harbor Freight motor, 220v 1ph with a 4 step pulley. I have another work rest that is about half the size of the one in the photo and is made of 1/4" steel plate. I also have a 10" wheel arm for it. I have yet to build a work arm with a small wheel attachment but I have all of the parts to do so, I just need the time to get it and the wheels built. Heh, it looks like one of my my dogs photo bombed me ! :) That's Boko, he recently turned 4 years of age.

Last edited:
If I'm seeing it right, that's a open frame motor?? If so, just be wary, grinding swarf and steel dust will get inside, and when you least expect it....
POP!! along with a little wisp of smoke. ;)

Blow out the motor often. Love the 56 Ford Pickup in the background!!

So here is a pic of my grinder!
000_1181.jpg

If I'm seeing it right, that's a open frame motor?? If so, just be wary, grinding swarf and steel dust will get inside, and when you least expect it....
POP!! along with a little wisp of smoke. ;)

Yeah, I have this debilitating disease of "trying to do it cheaper" and it almost always costs me more in the long run, I just can't seem to shake it. I tell myself to "watch it" but I keep doing it. For some reason I have to purchase and ruin the cheap one before I buy the right one.

I mounted the motor up high and pretty far back and built a deflector of sorts, combined with frequent maintenance I hope to get away with it, if that doesn't solve it I will be looking for a TEC motor in the future, with the added benefit of spending $130.00 bucks on the motor that I burn up first :)

I have a 3hp treadmill motor I could of used but I am not convinced that a 2x72 belt grinder is a good application for it, I plan to use it on a sander that I have plans (in my head) to build in the near future.

Last edited:
Nearly every time I see something for sale .... I think to myself "So that there widget costs $100, If I do it right I could make one for $400" It really is a disease

LOL, I know exactly what you mean! I am thinking of building a 6"x48" belt sander next and I could buy the durn thing fairly reasonably!

I just try and clean up after myself as often as possible and I'm pretty good about returning a tool to it's place after using it. My wife does a thorough cleaning of my shop for me every Spring (which will soon be upon us) which I really enjoy and she also sweeps it out for me now and then. I do my grinding near the door and use an old dust collector to blow the swarf out into the gravel driveway when the weather cooperates or I use the tractor shed.

Nothing wrong with a clean shop, my present shop is dirty and crowded.
when my wife comes in she usually moves slowly and cautiously with a somewhat grimacing look on her face, like she's anticipating something bad is about to happen. it's just to messy and crowded in there. :D

I have to keep parts of the shed tidy as I use it to hand the odd animal at times like over night yesterday. Got it broken down this morning but I do have a couple of pieces of shower wet walling to put the meat on as a nod to my wifes insistance.
VPxqObkl.jpg

5so9hTNl.jpg

Nothing like chopping up critters in your shop with a knife that was made there. :D
I'm currently in 2/3rds of a one car garage but where I'm moving too I'm putting up a 33' X 50 and I already have game cleaning in mind for bad weather. it was planned for this month but hurricane Michael set me back. :(

Back