Steel Heat Treat Question

Diamond G Knives

Im working with some thin (1/8") 52100 stock for chefs knives. I had thought about grinding after HT, and still may, but wanted to run a question by you guys. If I was to use the beveling dies on my press, and press the bevels in, would this help prevent warping in HT vs grinding the bevels in then HT?? Just curious what you guys think.

Thanks and God Bless
Mike

I wouldn't try it cold. I don't think there will be much of a difference if you heat them up to forging temp, press the bevels in, then finish the HT, versus grinding the bevels then doing the HT. One way or the other its going to thin the steel out making it more likely to warp in some way. My thin stock gets profiled, drilled, then heat treated. I do any tapered tangs and thinning blade grind afterwards.

Mike if it was me on that thin of stock I would just grind your bevels afterwards. Many things can cause them to warp, probably the most common is not grinding the same on each side and if you use your dies you will most likely have the same problem.

Just use new Ceramic belts to put your bevels in wit after heat treat and don't let it get hot.

Good Luck

Back