Steel for Hamon

Denny Eller

What is the best steel for creating a clear Hamon and what other steels work well? As I understand it, 0-1 is a poor choice and W-2 is a good choice. All input will be greatly appreciated.

I have tried all kinds of steel and the best I have seen is 1050 but it lacks the real hardness that you need unless you are making a sword which doesnt need extreme hardness . any of your 10 series steel will produce a very good hamon , unless of course if it has too much manganese . this was learned by trial and error .not something I read . W-2 works very good on smaller blades as well as swords .1070 steel is as close as you can get to japanese sword steel .anything over .32 in manganese I would steer clear of .

domo arigato, bubba-san. I guess experimentation is the best teacher but it sure helps to know where to start.

Konnichiwa, Denton I know what you mean , made a lot of mistakes over the years . some folks may disagree ,I personally believe knowledge is better retained if it costs you , Domo

The 10xx series steels vary in Mn content from .4, .6, and .8. You will want to check and make sure you have a steel on the low end.
The shallower hardening, or faster quenching the steel the more activity you will see in the hamon.
Most of the elements used to alloy steel make the steel deeper hardening, even in small amounts. One of the reasons the activity level of the hamons in jananese swords made from tamahagane is so high is that it has none of the alloying elements that make the steel deeper hardening. All modern steels have some Mn added to help the pouring of the steel melts.

The only way to get as much activity as some of the japanese swords is to make your own steel and quench in water :eek:
My next project:D

Myself and a friend from california made it in feb of this year . its the real mccoy made from japanese black sand ore . lot of dam work for sure .

Last edited:
Back