Steel/file question

One more question made my first knife from a old file and I am very happy with the outcome. I have been told I will need to temper since a file is so hard is is actually brittle, also had I done that first the grinding would have took half the time, true or false. Also the local steel shop has cold rolled steel they are unsure of the carbon content anyone have any experience with cold rolled Thanks again DON

Don,
True, Its easier to grind soft steel.
Some leave the files at full hardness after it's been made into a knife and some draw back the hardness. It depends on what you like?

I wouldn't waste any time on unknown steel if its not already a tool like a file or something else that is hardened.

Files are fine for s$its & grins but you should start working with a known harden-able steel like 1084, D2 or 440C for instance. This is how you will develop your knife maker skills and knowledge.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Most if not all of the steel at the steel shop will be low carbon, like 1018 or something similar. You can use it practice but it isn't going to harden.

Back