Static Electricity Problems

Steve Randall

Has any one else had problems with static electricity discharge when grinding? It is mostly from the more aggressive grit belts, it shocks the *&^% out of me. I have run extra ground wire on the grinder without any help. If I run a ground off the knife it works, but a real pain.
Thanks Steve

this usually comes from a ceramic platen and dry air...
spray all around laundry type anti-static spray, including inside of the belts. It won't get rid of it entirely but it really knocks it back to a tolerable level. I keep a can right next to my grinder.

Maybe change your boots?

Seriously, the only time I have trouble with static is when I'm wearing my all-rubber "swampers" after shoveling snow or something. It never happens with cowboy boots, sneakers or work boots. I'm on a bare concrete floor using a ceramic platen, and it gets very dry up here.

If the humidity in your shop drops below 45% you will get the static. Although it's a bit of a pain, the best solution I have found is one of those static "braclets" worn when working on computers/electronics. I connected it to the frame of my grinder. It has two "quick disconnects" so if it gets caught on something the wire easily pulls off the wrist strap and/or the connection point on the grinder frame.

The other option is to put a humidifier in your shop. We have very low humidity here in Montana, and especially during the winter (about 6 months out of the year) :) I will often run a small humidifier in the shop just to try to cut down on the static.

Thanks for the info. Yes I am running a ceramic platen . I wouldn't think here in the south humidity would be a problem. I will try the spray, Change my shoes and I will have to research the bracelet thing never heard of them... at this point I am tired of getting zapped and will try anything !!! thanks steve

Steve, you can probably get one of the grounding "bracelets" at Radio Shack. It's a pretty common item for people who work on computers.

Dumb question here but would it help if you connected a wire from the grinder frame to something like a ground?

I will have to check that ( bracelet ) out thanks for the info who would think you need static protection working on computers didn't know they were that sensitive.. Ernie I did run a ground from the grinder to a separate ground and it didn't work. The static guard does work used it today not near as much pain. . Thanks steve

Yeah the first time it happened to me I thought my motor had shorted out it scared the crap outta me, took me a while to figure it out. It only seems to happen to me in the winter its allready mid 80s here so I dont notice anymore.

Steve, the wire from the grinder to the ground didn't work because the static is building up within your body..not the grinder...kinda like that old high school science contraption that made a girls long hair stand out straight....you are most likely wearing some sort of rubber soled shoes or boots which act as an insulator between you and the floor, therefore your body has no ground....until the static builds up within your body to the point that it jumps the arc and goes to ground....which happens to be the closest thing that is grounded...your grinder...Hope this makes sense...it does to me, but I'm the one typing it. :5:

Hope this helps explain it....

BTW, I don't claim to be any kind of electrician....it's just something that I learned when taking a computer repair course....

I get sparks shooting big blue nasty ones some reach out over an inch and I wear rubber crock s and have a small hole in one and the shocks go right through the hole near my big toe and send the spark to the floor . I know all about sparks. The best thing is to add a ground to the grinder make sure all your wire conections are good it can get so bad you could ruin the bearings from repeated sparks arching . The braclet is a good idea as well . Kellyw

Yes it all makes perfect sense now . I was thinking it was building up in the grinder not me . Here in North Carolina the humidity is high so I don't normally have much of a problem or very little but the last few days I haven't been able to get my hair to lay flat.. LOL thanks for all the info.....steve

Steve, it happens to me from time to time at the buffer. A quick solution I've found is simply to make sure your leg is in contact with anything made of steel and large enough. Got a tool chest right beside that does the job. In the same line of thought if you go with the bracelet, it can be on your ankle not necessarily on the wrist.

I found the cloths spray anti static stuff works great for me. I just spray the inside of the moving belt for one or two seconds. Frank

I don't have this issue with my Coote, but my little Delta 1x42 zaps me all the time. If I keep a finger or something in contact with the work table before I move the work to the belt, it's not a problem. I initially assumed that it was an electrical issue, but it seems more likely to be a static discharge.. sort of like a Van DeGraaf generator... I haven't tried grounding the frame though. I assumed the build up was in the belt, but I may be wrong.

I love this forum.

I just came in from the Garage, a little frazzled. My 2x42 Craftsman just knocked the #$%* out of me. For some odd reason, I thought it might be the hardened file guide I just put on a knife I was grinding.

The first time it happened, was a little less than a shock you'd get from a lawn mower spark plug. I thought it might be one of those freak instances where you hit a nerve just right and get a shocking sensation. So I switched hands and got a smaller jolt when the file guide got near the platen.

So I put that knife down and picked up another without a file guide on it and went back to grinding. BAM I get another jolt. WTH!! I figure it may be the plugin or the motor on the Craftsman. So I switched plugins and now I'm a little more cautious. I slowly move the knife near the platen and when it almost touch, I see a lot of tiny little blue sparks! So I thought it was the Craftsman and I was miffed!

But once I started getting unfrazzled, I decided to check the forum here for grounding issues and I find this thread, which explains it perfectly!

Thanks. I'm gonna go change my shoes (and pants...) and see if that makes a difference. Otherwise, I'll contact the grinder/stand somehow and see if that helps.

I love this forum.

I just came in from the Garage, a little frazzled. My 2x42 Craftsman just knocked the #$%* out of me. For some odd reason, I thought it might be the hardened file guide I just put on a knife I was grinding.

The first time it happened, was a little less than a shock you'd get from a lawn mower spark plug. I thought it might be one of those freak instances where you hit a nerve just right and get a shocking sensation. So I switched hands and got a smaller jolt when the file guide got near the platen.

So I put that knife down and picked up another without a file guide on it and went back to grinding. BAM I get another jolt. WTH!! I figure it may be the plugin or the motor on the Craftsman. So I switched plugins and now I'm a little more cautious. I slowly move the knife near the platen and when it almost touch, I see a lot of tiny little blue sparks! So I thought it was the Craftsman and I was miffed!

But once I started getting unfrazzled, I decided to check the forum here for grounding issues and I find this thread, which explains it perfectly!

Thanks. I'm gonna go change my shoes (and pants...) and see if that makes a difference. Otherwise, I'll contact the grinder/stand somehow and see if that helps.

I had the same problem until I grounded my grinder base to a cold water pipe . No more shocks. you could also have your male plug reversed !

If its not polarized. 3 prong . you can also check your receptacle it could be wired in reverse.... Just a few ideas . I used to be a lic. electrician..

Last edited:
Thanks Bubba San. I use to run my own Inspection company and had already confirmed that the plug ins were wired properly. That's why I thought it was the Craftsman!!

Here's an update.

I went in and changed my shoes to ones with a different sole. The ones I had on were the el cheapo slip on sneakers from Wally World. Next, I grabbed one of my wife's dryer sheets and went out to the grinder and ran the belt around a few rpms while I held the dryer sheet to the back of the belt (do this at your own risk!).

I grabbed up a knife and held it close to the platen again. NO SPARKS! :)

So now I'm back to grinding steel. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!!

Back