"Standard Work" for belt testing

scott.livesey

Dealer - Purveyor
i have been experimenting with different speed and coolant combinations while grinding. I am going to start recording data and see which combinations work the best. the key is Standard Work, what task are we going to do. if i say blaze belts last twice as long as gator belts, have i really given any real information? now when i say using a blaze belt at ?speed and using ?? for coolant, i made 20 cuts before the belt was used up. using a gator belt at the same speed and coolant, I made 10 cuts before the belt was used up. this is info that is relevant and repeatable.
So, would "make a 10 degree bevel, 2" wide, and 0.04"(about 1mm) deep" a realistic task?

Scott - for a "tired old sailor" you think pretty good :35: - yes, I have often thought myself the recommendations of belts left something to be desired. A ceramic belt can be recommended because it cuts good and last a long time..... BUT, what if the person reading the recommendation only runs his grinder at 2,000 SFPM? Is he going to get the benefits of ceramic? It's my understanding ceramic only starts to "show it's stuff" at 4,000 SPFM and above - is that correct?

For instance, since by bevel grinding is done at 2,000 SFPM and less (and lower pressure), which belts would actually be best at that speed?

Scott, you've got a GREAT project started here and I'd sure like to see the results.

Ken H>

The comparisons might not be helpful for belts made for different purposes. In your example, the BLAZE is going to out-hog the Gator, but the gators structured abrasive will be more consistent from the first grind to the last. BLAZE aren't even available finer that 120G.

Comparing apples to apples would be something like comparing Gators to Norax - or Norax A/O to Norax Ceramic - or BLAZE to Cubitron.

Yes, speed, substrate, and task would make a huge difference.

I'm thinking a 1mm deep 10 degree bevel would have to be done MANY times to wear out a BLAZE. Are you going to grind hard or soft?

Folks have been trying to determine this sort of thing for a long time. The problem is repeatability. We all grind differently, even with similar tasks. Personally I think the best one can do is determine what belt(s) work best for them, in their individual shop(s), and when passing that information along, ensure its understood the info is based on an indivdiual's usage. We really shouldn't even have to go that far.....but the way our society is these days, often times everybody wants "absolutes", and they simply can't process that there are circumstances involved.

The comparisons might not be helpful for belts made for different purposes. In your example, the BLAZE is going to out-hog the Gator, but the gators structured abrasive will be more consistent from the first grind to the last. BLAZE aren't even available finer that 120G.

Comparing apples to apples would be something like comparing Gators to Norax - or Norax A/O to Norax Ceramic - or BLAZE to Cubitron.

Yes, speed, substrate, and task would make a huge difference.

I'm thinking a 1mm deep 10 degree bevel would have to be done MANY times to wear out a BLAZE. Are you going to grind hard or soft?

blaze and gator are just two belts that came to mind. Blaze(ceramic alumina with aid) vs Blue Fire Norzon(zirconia with aid) would be a fair match, both are available in the same grit, biggest difference is Blue Fire belts can be found for 1/2 the price of a Blaze. i am grinding soft, all the steel by the same maker, so hardness of the blank is not a variable. i am thinking of using compression springs to measure force, this is going to be the hardest variable to control.

a 1mm deep 10 degree bevel is something all makers would do. the goal is not "Absolutes", the goal is process control and finding the best tools to use do the process

Last edited:
I think Scott's on the right track, he's just trying to figure out all the variables to measure, and how to measure them.....

Just how much difference is there in pressure when grinding with a J-Flex 120 grit at 2,000 SPFM? A J-flex 400 grit at 1200 SFPM? Gator belts could be used with similar grits. I wouldn't think that would use very much pressure, compared to a Ceramic doing profiling at 4,000+ SPFM - I suspect that is going to be with a good bit of pressure, but would vary a good bit from person to person. I just "hog in" till the sparks are showering pretty good :3: Hard for me to imagine grinding at 5K or 6K SFPM! That would sure move some metal, and take a finger OFF if not careful.

Keep going with your ideas Scott - while it might not be possible to nail absolutes, a good generalization should be possible.

Ken H>

Back