Stainless steel advice

Brad Lilly

Moderator and Awards Boss
I got a request for a big stainless bowie knife (11" plus blade). What do you guys recommend for something like this? I was going to use 440c just because of its high corrosion resistance but I'm not sure ho its going to hold up on that big of a blade.

I'm not sure I like the idea of making a knife without forging, it just dose not seam natural to me.

Brad,
Thats a big knife! 440C should work just fine,I know of some other knives that big made from it. Why do you think it wouldn't hold up?
Will you send it out for heat treat or do it yourself? That knife will require a BIG kiln and tempering oven.
You always do a little stock removal when you forge a knife so just pretend you forged that perfect rectangle and then start cutting,drilling and grinding.:biggrin:

I'm a high carbon guy so most of my concern is based on knowing anything about stainless steel. I must admit the joint between the blade and hollow handle is concerning me a little.

Brad - since he's wanting a "big" Bowie, just make a Musso copy - see below:

Musso-Bowie-Drw-Color.jpg

"Hollow handle"? Tell more about this hollow handle - sounds interesting. Is he wanting one of those handles you can store survival stuff in?

Ken H>

Personally I think it would be a mistake to use a handle like that on a knife this big unless the knife has a stick tang that is going all the way through the handle with a nut on the butt end.

I here you Calvin it's something that I'm not super comfort with. Don't get me wrong that handle would be fine with a normal size knife. 11 inches is a lot of leverage on a pretty small area.

Not sure why people choose 440C for corrosion resistance. 154 is more corrosion resistant than 440C, with better edge retention. CPM 154 is twice as tough as regular 154 at the same hardness. There are lots of good stainless choices, and the difference between an OK steel and a super steel isn't much for price when you consider the value it adds the finished piece. Having said all that, there is something to be said for using a traditional steel on a traditional piece - or is this a traditional bowie?

Here is how I attached the last one.

I was thinking about doing the same thing but peening the thread once its tight. Backing off is not the concern tang failure is a worry though.

Thanks Calvin your opinion means a lot to me. I think i'm going to decline this one. I would rather not have my name on a knife I no will fail

If your going with a mirror polish I would use CPM-154, I've found that 'some' of the 440-C on the market nowadays doesn't take a truly nice mirror polish.

I'm going forward with 5160 high carbon. I have come up with a plan, stay tuned guys I want to do a WIP on it.

I should add welcome to knifedogs Kevin.

Last edited:
Look forward on seeing what you make. I've been around here for awhile I just don't post much. Computers is not my strong point lol
I like 3v for those big ones plus it stands up to rust pretty good.
thanks for the welcome.

Back