Stainless Metal fumes?

MikeL

KNIFE MAKER
I’m using CPM 154 for the first time. (I’ve used 440c several times.) While drilling holes in two knives I had some fumes. I don’t wear a mask while drilling. I went from drilling to grinding out the profile ( I did put the mask on for grinding). I spent a couple hours grinding. Then went in the house to take a break and I found my voice was almost gone. Kind of like a severe cold voice. I feel fine I just have voice issues. Anybody know if fumes from stainless steel caused this or maybe it’s a coincidence? I know galvanized steel can cause problems. What about stainless? Either way, I believe the mask will go on even for drilling holes now.

I've never had any adverse effects from CPM-154 Mike but once working with G10 I must have breathed some in,
it screwed up my voice for about a week, I sounded like Lurch............you rang ?

Coming from someone who's not only been doing this for 30+ years, but also someone who has had a chunk of his right lung removed, and a biopsy on the left lung....... PROTECT YOURSELF AT ALL TIMES WHEN IN THE SHOP. NOBODY knows the cumulative effects of the type of work, or the cumulative health hazards that we, as knifemakers/Bladesmiths encounter/expose ourselves to. There have never been any studies done, because our numbers are a fairly small percentage of the population.

Early in my career I learned the hard way that I am severely allergic to Cocobolo. I can get the the dust all over my exterior, but if it gets inside, the reaction is just short of anaphylactic shock. I learned this when my wife came home and found me with my eyes swollen shut, bleeding from the nose, and unable to breath. After an ambulance ride, and 2 days in the hospital, they figured it out.

What I'm saying is that YOU, as an individual, may very well have had a reaction to some element or component in the steel.....or it may have been something totally different. If your body is telling you it doesn't like something like that, LISTEN TO IT and steer clear of the material.

It sounds macabre, but I've seen a number of Bladesmiths/Knifemakers in "the old days", who died young because they didn't protect themselves EVER. We're all "10 foot tall and bulletproof" when we're 25....... but add just a decade or so to that, and not taking care of yourself starts manifesting itself in ways you'd rather not experience.

Thanks Lurch and Ed. Doesn’t hurt to use PPE even when perhaps you think it’s not needed. That’s a scary story about the cocobolo Ed! Four hours later my voice is still messed up. I’m going to blame it on the drilling fumes since that was the only time in the shop I didn’t have a mask on. It will be on from now on.

Where you using any fluids like TapMagic or some type of oil for drilling? I'd suspect that more so than the SS itself.

Cutting oil fumes will do a number on you. At the very least have a fan running to blow smoke away from you. Smoke and dust will kill you in the worst way....so slowly that you don't realize what did it.

Yes, I was using a cooling fluid. I had no idea the fluid could be the culprit. I never had trouble with carbon steel and the same fluid that’s why I blamed the SS. So many hazards lurking in the shop. The mask will be strapped to my face a lot more often.
Thanks for the input.

Back