Stainless for Slipjoint springs?

Daniel Rohde

Hey Guys!
I'm wanting to make a stainless slipjoint (AEB-L steel) and I want to know if it will work for the spring also? When I send it off to be heat treated I usually have them take it to about
61-62 HRC and I assume that is much to hard for a spring but can I have them harden it to that and then temper it myself to a proper hardness? Any info about tempering stainless for a spring?

Thanks!

I have yet to finish them, but I have 6 slipjoints and backsprings in AEB-L heat treated and ready to start final shaping and assembly. Not sure who you are using for HT, but I used Peters. I talked to Brad before I sent them off to check on the exact things you are questioning. Everything was hardened 61-62 and then they tempered the backsprings back to 48-50.

Hope this helps
Chris

Ken, I asked Brad if that would be the range he recommended for a backspring in AEB-L and he said it was.

Chris

Interesting info. Any idea what tempering temperature would get the springs back to 48-50Rc assuming they started out at 61-62Rc?

Thanks. I was looking at that one but the data drops off at 900F which still leaves the steel around 56Rc.

Back