stag handle

Steve Randall

I am making a knife with a stag handle on it. my question is what do you do or use to finish off the stag? This is the first time I have used stag I have always used micarta, dymondwood etc but no stag thank ...steve

thanks I will give it a try. I have some white compound I can use for the buffing just didn't know what was the best way to go . is the lemon oil for protection or dose it bring out the color as well? I didn't think there was to much to it just did not want to screw it up. I'm real good at that part...steve

White will work, Green or Pink is better. The lemon oil cleans & protects....also brings out the luster.;) The stag will pick up the compound so I scrub the oil in with a soft tooth brush and wipe with a cloth.

Last edited:
thanks for the help. I need to buy some more compound any way this will be a good excuse. for a new knife maker this forum has been a great resource...Thanks..steve

One thing Ive discovered while trying to salvage some poor quality stag.

I soaked in Minnwax wood hardener over night then let dry. This seemed to "stabilize" the poor stag, but not so much in the way we think of "Stabilized" material. What it did do was seal it nicely, and provides some level of protection to the stag.

Here is what I do:
Put stag in fruit jar, fill jar to brim with the wood hardener. Attache lid, let soak ( I do 3 days don't know if it matters or not though) Take it out and allow to drain. I then put back in my drying cabinet for a week or so. Fit up handle as normal, then buff with loose linen wheel with white or no scratch pink.

In my opinion, the finish I get is worth the effort. Now what I do, is if I buy any stag, Ill treat it first then put it in the dry closet till I need it.

God Bless
Mike

Back