Stacked birch bark handles...ok to include inner bark?

Joseph

IMG_1966 (640x428).jpg

I just collected some birch bark from live trees that were about to be logged.

Guess it was the right time of the year because both the inner and outer bark easily popped right off.

Most of the stuff I read only mentions to use the outer bark...no mention of the inner bark.

Because of the thickness, I'm really tempted to use them both.

Anyone here have any experience with this?

I've just used the outer bark the few times I have used it. I have never made a whole handle out of birch bark, just used it for spacers.

I've never heard of this before so I'm absolutely no help but very curious to see what you come up with. Please post your project.

I did some testing, and no, one can't use the inner bark.

Here is what I will be attempting:

http://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/tag/birch-bark-handle-tutorial/

In all honesty I believed the heating step was more to dehydrate the bark in order to be able to compress it more...but my testing did reveal that it actually did fuse the bark together.

I cut three squares of bark and sandwiched them (no glue) between two quarters and into a c-lamp. Then I popped it in the oven at 200 degrees F for an hour (heating time and degree taken from a different tutorial). Took it out and re-tightened the clamp (as the bark had dried out) and let it rest overnight. Surprisingly the block was incredibly hard and perfectly fused together by the natural tar in the bark. It looked very promising.

I took the block and set it in a glass of water for a few hours, and the inner bark turned into basically a sponge and the block fell apart.

So... only outer bark will do.

Never knew about heating the birch back. The outside layer of birch back is really strange material. Its layers upon layers of very fine sheet material. Reminded me of saran wrap or plastic food wrap.

Thats pretty nice, kinda like stacked leather look.

Yeah, that's kinda what drew me to the idea.

Did some more baking, but with the outer bark this time. Seems that pressure is key.

The bark between the coins fused together, but the corners can easily be peeled apart.

The quarters were also surprisingly well stuck to the block and two pairs of pliers were required to twist them off.
IMG_1975.JPG

After sanding, it has a "cork" feel:
IMG_1976.JPG

when compared with the block made from both inner and outer bark:
IMG_1977.JPG

I've left it soaking in some water this afternoon, and we'll see if it holds together.

Well after a 6 hour soak the block stayed fused together, and after measurement with a caliper it didn't even swell!

IMG_1978 (322x307).jpg
(the loose edges were trimmed prior to soak)

I'm going to be looking for thicker bark this weekend:biggrin:

Very interesting, I have considered trying this but I had never seen it done before.
I wonder lignin causes it to bond together? Not that it matters I guess.

Very interesting, I have considered trying this but I had never seen it done before.
I wonder lignin causes it to bond together? Not that it matters I guess.

I'm no expert, but apparently the heat releases the tar in the bark and allows everything to bind together (Google "birch bark tar" and "neanderthal super glue").

This too is my first experience with the process, and find it pretty neat. I just wonder how about the long-term durability as an everyday "user".

Just got a new batch of bark this Saturday and have it pressed under craft paper, towels and boards weighted down with paint cans. Hope to get to it next week-end.

Back