Square a drill press

I have a Craftsman standing drill press, and I replaces the shaft and Chuck with a ROHM keyless one. It made a big difference in the wobble. I also have a X x Y table. I have installed a digtal dial caliper to help measure the depth of holes in handle material.

Rick

Thanks guys.. I need to buy a drill press and a wood band saw..I think I need one..now have ideas for the drill press.. ideas on band saw or whatever to cut handle material ?

Yo Steve! Welcome brother!

I bought a decent Sears wood cutting band saw and table saw at a local auction (not the same one, different days). Start shadowing auctions and garage sales, watch the paper for people selling their stuff, and you'll find some great deals.

You guys watch Steve, he's gonna mop us all up some day...

Checking my drill table out the other day, I found that it's level left to right but tips slightly forward. I used the old bent-hanger trick, and found that there is a difference of about .03" from back edge of the table to the front edge. Is that enough to be concerned with? I'm just not sure how to shim up the table so that it is level. I'll have to do some experimenting.

It's definitely not enough to bother me on any of the knives I've done so far, but as I get into the folder charity build-off or take-downs later on, I don't want to run into problems.

--nathan

I fixed mine with angle iron gussets I made that are screwed to the table and clamp assembly with 10-32 screws. I made them so as to force the front edge of the table up when the screws drew down tight, because mine had the same problem as yours, which made the fitting and assembling a little tricky. It made it much more level and less flexy though.

Attachments

• shop build 014.jpg
    shop build 014.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 25
  • shop build 016 (2).jpg
    shop build 016 (2).jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 26
I like that solution. Did you have to shim at all, or is the support perfectly squared? Just thinking ahead, thanks!

I like that solution. Did you have to shim at all, or is the support perfectly squared? Just thinking ahead, thanks!

I had to make it over-long and grind off the back end where it screws to the clamp assembly, until when I turned the screws down it wedged itself in tight enough to force the table where I wanted it.

Back