Spencer Aplin/Jordon Berthelot blade design

Goot

After coming across a few knives that stopped me in my tracks like this from Spencer Aplin:

87FB50B8-6A8F-44A5-BCFA-480C4DF813B8.jpeg
And this from Jordon Berthelot:
D8737E10-1130-40F3-9044-FBE262D28384.jpeg

I've been inspired to learn everything I can about the process of making a knife with such intricate bevels. I really want to learn how. Is it primarily done with a mill? Can anyone point me in the right direction with this unique styling?

A couple things. I am not familiar with either make so I can not speak on their behalf. The following is only my undereducated opinion.

The bevels, while unique and very hard to do, don’t look like anything out of the realm of possibilities. The fullers on the other hand would be exceptionally difficult to pull off. Again not knowing either maker, I would assume neither used a mill and most likely forged the beginning portion, then most likely used some unique tooling, probably purpose built, for the rough work, then I can only assume a tremendous amount of hand work and detailing went into both blades.

I don’t have any reference for you level of skill and collection of tools. Therefore I am making some assumptions. I’m guessing you are a relative beginner. Bearing that that is my impression l, I would suggest a couple things and make one statement.

Statement first. There really are no shortcuts, even with complex multi axis machines a build like this finished to that level is remarkable. Time really is the only reliable teacher.

Now opinions.

Take it slow, learn the basics. Understand basic design principles, basic techniques, and expand on those. There are a few steps that may shorten the curve, such as expert tutelage but start at the bottom.

Don’t be in a hurry. Knives like those even with extraordinary talent and skills can take years to finish. That said I can feel fairly certain that both of those makers had made hundreds of not thousands of knives before those. And most likely several with separate aspects of those builds before they combined them all.

I sincerely hope I’m not dissuading you from giving it a go. They are lofty goals, but not unattainable. You just need to start slow.

Well… you could always ask one of them.
Haha, probably the easiest answer!

A couple things. I am not familiar with either make so I can not speak on their behalf. The following is only my undereducated opinion.

The bevels, while unique and very hard to do, don’t look like anything out of the realm of possibilities. The fullers on the other hand would be exceptionally difficult to pull off. Again not knowing either maker, I would assume neither used a mill and most likely forged the beginning portion, then most likely used some unique tooling, probably purpose built, for the rough work, then I can only assume a tremendous amount of hand work and detailing went into both blades....
Thanks for the well-said response. I'll always consider myself a beginner -- always trying to learn new things every day I spend in the shop! I have no expectation of being able to replicate this any year soon.

The main reason I didn't reach out to the makers themselves is because some folks disagree that imitation can be the highest form of flattery, and would tend to be suspect of my motivations. But it's worth a shot, I suppose. When I wanted to learn filework, I bought a DVD and watched videos; but for this, I'm not sure what it's even called to start the research. I'm thinking it has to be CNC-derived. Thought you all might have a better idea.

Haha, probably the easiest answer!

Thanks for the well-said response. I'll always consider myself a beginner -- always trying to learn new things every day I spend in the shop! I have no expectation of being able to replicate this any year soon.

The main reason I didn't reach out to the makers themselves is because some folks disagree that imitation can be the highest form of flattery, and would tend to be suspect of my motivations. But it's worth a shot, I suppose. When I wanted to learn filework, I bought a DVD and watched videos; but for this, I'm not sure what it's even called to start the research. I'm thinking it has to be CNC-derived. Thought you all might have a better idea.
I get what you mean about imitation, but at worst they will just tell you it’s proprietary. I guess that’s my response if I don’t want to say how I did something.

Lol ... spencer aplin doesnt use cnc, I dont even think he's in good enough shape to run a grinder. Dude sits there with a dremel and grinds those out lol, takes a LOT of time but no skill since the designs are simple. Talked to him on the phone before and suggested some tools that might make his work go quicker and he about had a hayday that someone gave him a suggestion bc he thinks hes the knife god. Hes the dremel king if anything LOL

I have delt with both of those guys through their Facebook based business The Stag Depot and it has never been a good experience. I can honesty say and without malace toward either of them they are extremely hard to deal with, they are both arrogant and Spencer is just plain rude, mostly for no reason what-so-ever. Recently I tried to purchase a crown handle that was advertised at $75. He read me the riot act because I didn't know "there is a $100 minimum if you want to shop here". Needless to say Spencer and I couldn't along long enough to complete the order. I doubt you would get a warm reception if you asked him directly how he makes those blades.

As for JB, check his facebook, his stainless knives that arent dremel carved aren't very skilled, simple handles. These guys aren't impressive, anyone with a dremel can carve a weird line in to a knife lol!

Those are beautiful as pieces of art but I myself would never use either.
First the recurve in the blade profile makes them harder to sharpen.
Second the topography of both blades would make cleaning them harder.
I like simple to sharpen and clean. I tended not to use a nice knife I owned (Gave it to a nephew) because there was filework on the spine of the blade and stuff got in there and made it harder to clean.
I'm not a lazy person but with the knives that I own I consider comfort first and looks second. Don't get me wrong those are beautiful and if you want to make knives like that it's a good thing. They just aren't very functional in my view.

Back