Sources of useable scrap metal?

Kevin, there's a decent legitimate scrap yard about 4 miles from me. I just gave them a call and they said they still welcome people stopping by and scavenging. He said he's got a "decent supply" of steel sheet, plate and bar. They just weigh it up when you're done and charge the going rate.

There are also a few machine and fab shops locally that probably have some scrap.
Thanks John, that is the sort of thing I was looking for.

I may have to plan a visit to your shop when I have a list of steel pieces I need to pick up. It was a lot nicer to jump in the truck and shop whenever I felt like it though.

Yes but the dumb thing is that it is not even a smart business model- a lifetime of satisfied return customers, or a year of two of obscene profit that kills the market. I think of it more as a mindset than a corporation vs. individual thing, because I have seen small business, and even some knifemakers with the same approach. It is just a more fatal business model for the little guy.

The thing is, for many of these corporations, it's not about sustaining a life long business, but about making everything look good enough to sell to the next guy. The current owners aren't thinking about what the business or market is going to look like in 10, 20 or 30 years. They just need to make it attractive to the next buyer as quickly as they can.

Thanks John, that is the sort of thing I was looking for.

I may have to plan a visit to your shop when I have a list of steel pieces I need to pick up. It was a lot nicer to jump in the truck and shop whenever I felt like it though.

You're welcome anytime...just let me know. I've got a buddy that owns a fabrication shop. He makes parts for Howe racing. His shop is just down from my house. He may have some scrap or know someone who does.

Yes but the dumb thing is that it is not even a smart business model- a lifetime of satisfied return customers, or a year of two of obscene profit that kills the market. I think of it more as a mindset than a corporation vs. individual thing, because I have seen small business, and even some knifemakers with the same approach. It is just a more fatal business model for the little guy.

Your right but they'll take all the profit run the company into the ground then sell it in pieces keep only the profitable parts (if there are any) liquidate the inventory, equipment etc... and put a bunch of people that have worked there 30 years out on the street and not blink an eye!! Its sad!!

I will take fierce loyalty over fast cash any day. This is ridiculous that these “businesses” can’t even comprehend one of THE most important aspects of running business. Yeah I’m sure they make there money and a lot of it but how long will it truly last

One problem is that so many companies are just subsidiaries held by holding companies that buy them to add to a portfolio or to maximize profitability and then flip them. A holding company isn't interested in long term growth, so the answer again is to take any profit and acquire smaller companies. Nobody builds factories anymore, they buy a company that already has the factory. So big companies become huge companies, and eventually they go public which makes it worse. In my professional career, the absolute worst thing to happen is a company going public because then the company has no owners with a personal connection to the company or its people. All history, loyalty, and time invested in employees and customers gets replaced by a nameless, faceless board of directors who only feel beholden to the stockholders. From that point forward the company lives and dies one quarter at a time, and every person below the executive level becomes a faceless cog in the machine. Bad quarter? Let go of 1,000 people to cut payroll and make the company look profitable. Two or three bad quarters? Combine that company with a sister company to hide the loss, and eventually sell it off or liquidate it.

Welcome to my world. My average lifespan at a company my entire adult life has been less than five years. I have been with my current company for ten (my longest ever) and during that ten years we have had three names and been held by two companies before being sold to the current parent company. Before that I was with a company you all know about, which is owned by a company you've never heard of. I have zero illusions about job security or company loyalty. They can call me in tomorrow and tell me thanks for the memories, and good luck. And you know what? That's the deal. I get paid for the work I do, until I don't. On the flip side, I will work hard for them until I decide to go somewhere else, and I won't offer them anything more than a hearty handshake and here's your computer back.

One problem is that so many companies are just subsidiaries held by holding companies that buy them to add to a portfolio or to maximize profitability and then flip them. A holding company isn't interested in long term growth, so the answer again is to take any profit and acquire smaller companies. Nobody builds factories anymore, they buy a company that already has the factory. So big companies become huge companies, and eventually they go public which makes it worse. In my professional career, the absolute worst thing to happen is a company going public because then the company has no owners with a personal connection to the company or its people. All history, loyalty, and time invested in employees and customers gets replaced by a nameless, faceless board of directors who only feel beholden to the stockholders. From that point forward the company lives and dies one quarter at a time, and every person below the executive level becomes a faceless cog in the machine. Bad quarter? Let go of 1,000 people to cut payroll and make the company look profitable. Two or three bad quarters? Combine that company with a sister company to hide the loss, and eventually sell it off or liquidate it.

Welcome to my world. My average lifespan at a company my entire adult life has been less than five years. I have been with my current company for ten (my longest ever) and during that ten years we have had three names and been held by two companies before being sold to the current parent company. Before that I was with a company you all know about, which is owned by a company you've never heard of. I have zero illusions about job security or company loyalty. They can call me in tomorrow and tell me thanks for the memories, and good luck. And you know what? That's the deal. I get paid for the work I do, until I don't. On the flip side, I will work hard for them until I decide to go somewhere else, and I won't offer them anything more than a hearty handshake and here's your computer back.

BAM!!

Unfortunately this is exactly what I was saying! They want 1000% Loyalty until they don't need you!

Go to a local steel supplier and ask to look through their drops

These are the leftover pieces from when they cut steel to size

It's basically waste to them and they're glad to get rid if it.

They sell it by the pound or by the "eyeball"

They've got all kinds of steel

I do this every time I need steel

Or if you need pieces of rebar and don't mind coming down to Pontiac, I can get you all you want

Go to a local steel supplier and ask to look through their drops

These are the leftover pieces from when they cut steel to size

It's basically waste to them and they're glad to get rid if it.

They sell it by the pound or by the "eyeball"

They've got all kinds of steel

I do this every time I need steel

Or if you need pieces of rebar and don't mind coming down to Pontiac, I can get you all you want

I remember doing just that at the Carpenter outlet in Troy, MI, back when it was still open. I would often walk out with arms full of O2 tool steel drops that I bought for pennies on the dollar. But that was a long time ago, and the location ceased to exist over 20 years ago.

Well, in the middle of all this gloomy talk about the sad state of customer service and business practices these days, I suddenly get a reminder that there are some of those truly good guys in business these days. Back in 2010, I found a Michigan business that was making welders and plasma cutters. The guy was getting up and running and offered a very economical unit that I bought. He was super friendly and enjoyed visiting with me when I picked it up, taking time show me exactly who run the machine.

I used the machine for just about everything and a long after any warranty should be expected to last, I finally had a little trouble with it. “bring it on in” Jeff said when a called him to ask what the problem might be. At that time, he was making newer version of welders than this one, and so it was quite outdated, but he opened it up and made the adjustment at no charge.

The day before yesterday there was a “poof” and smoke rolled out of the machine. I called up Jeff to see if it may be repaired or what a new machine might cost. He said he hadn’t seen one like I had for a long time and the ones he offers now are much more powerful and around 4 times the price. He knew I was I a bind but in a little bit I have to get on the road because Jeff is going to the shop and opening the doors on Sunday to see if he can fix my ancient welder.

So I just wanted to give a shout out to Jeff at Avortec, for going above and beyond anything that should be expected today in ensuring life long customer loyalty.

Back