Source for O-1 tool steel made in Sheffield, England

Here's from the product sheet on that material. I notice any of the single blade width (1" to 2" wide or so) material is more expensive. but the wider stuff like Scott is recommending is amazingly cheap! (thanks again Scott)

* Stock is dimensionally stable - use it for the most intricate work. * Deep hardening characteristics and fine grain structure. * Machines freely - fully spheroidized, annealed. * Full Length identification - eliminates confusion with other steels. Specifications: Furnished in 18" length, ground, straight and parallel Nominal Analysis (AISI 01): Carbon - .90 /Chromium - .50 /Manganese - 1.20 /Tungsten - .50 /Vanadium - .20 Hardening: It is recommended that stock be heated uniformly to 1450 - 1500 deg. F and quenched in oil. Temperature of the quenching oil should be 120 - 140deg. F for best results. Do not quench in water because this is an oil hardening steel. Tempering: For maximum toughness, a tempering time of one hour at temperature is recommended. Use chart for selecting desired Rockwell C hardness and corresponding tempering temperature. The following table may also be used as a guide depending on type of work. Cutting Tools: 300 - 350 deg. F (Light Straw) Solid Punches and Dies: 400 - 450 deg. F (Straw) Spring Temper: 750 - 800 deg. F (Blue) Size: All Sizes Temp: 1450 - 1500 deg. Quench: Oil Rockwell C: 63 - 65

Just tried to order a few sticks and got kicked back at check out,aparently Alaska dosent have mail service.The cost to ship to Alaska priority flat rate is the same as it is to ship to your next town.I get sick of getting gouged on shipping like it cost more to go to the post office if your shipping to Alaka then some other place.Sorry I'm just ticked.

i used to live in hawaii, so i know the feeling.
i usually make smaller blades, about 4", so with 12" wide stock i can get 22 knives, 4" blade 1 1/2" wide with 4" tang 3/4" wide. so with the 1/8" stock above, your steel cost is less than $3 per blade. $3 to $4 is my price point for steel when i am making a paring/utility/ajikiri/nakiri knife. if i keep my total time($20/hour) to less than an hour, break even is about $30 for a finished knife.

Well I sent them a message through amozon and the contacted me with a phone num and one call and they are mailing me my order ! :-D

Excellent!

The one knife design I want to play with works out to $3.00 per blade on steel cost with the o-1. Doesn't get any better than that!

Scott is pretty diligent on his material searching. I'm glad he likes to share his findings......

Excellent!

The one knife design I want to play with works out to $3.00 per blade on steel cost with the o-1. Doesn't get any better than that!

Scott is pretty diligent on his material searching. I'm glad he likes to share his findings......

material searching (I am the sourcerer) is one of the things that keeps me employable(ed). with the computer, sourcing is getting easy, 30 years ago it was paper and phone.

Thanks again for the tip Scott,I was getting ready to order from a diff sorce for a lot more money when I saw this.

Back